Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Maartje <ma...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/07/13 08:08:47 UTC

Open Office spellcheck malfunction

Dear Open Office,

I've started using your software several years ago and mainly use it for
text-documents. It always worked perfectly, thanks (!)
Unfortunately the spellcheck all of a sudden stopped working properly
several weeks ago - it now marks all words as 'incorrect' and is stuck
on German (I can not change it to Dutch).
I've reinstalled Open Office several times but that does not make a
difference. I work with Windows 10 (since one year).
Could you please help?

Many thanks / kind regards,
Maartje

Re: Open Office spellcheck malfunction

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 08:08:47 +0000
"Maartje " <ma...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Dear Open Office,
>
> I've started using your software several years ago and mainly use it for
> text-documents. It always worked perfectly, thanks (!)
> Unfortunately the spellcheck all of a sudden stopped working properly
> several weeks ago - it now marks all words as 'incorrect' and is stuck
> on German (I can not change it to Dutch).
> I've reinstalled Open Office several times but that does not make a
> difference. I work with Windows 10 (since one year).
> Could you please help?
>
> Many thanks / kind regards,
> Maartje

Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

Loss of spellchecker can occur when the computer has been powered off too swiftly, before the internal housekeeping has been written to disk. After you have closed OpenOffice, use the formal computer power-off procedure to shut the computer down, then wait a few seconds (ten will probably be enough) to allow the internal buffers in the hard disk be flushed to the platters, before pulling the power plug or closing the laptop lid.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>