Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ken Matsumoto <ke...@nri.com> on 2010/07/29 03:51:24 UTC

any better way to retrieve data than using get_range_slices

Hi all,

Are there any better way to retrieve data from Cassandra than using
get_range_slices?

Now I'm going to port some programs using MySQL to Cassandra. The
program query is like
below:
"select * from Table_A where date > 1/1/2008 and date < 12/31/2009 and
locationID = 1"
The result of the query will have over 1M records at a time.

In Cassandra, get_range_slices can only return 600 rows in our H/W
condition.
We have to iterate get_range_slices many times, but it takes a lot of
time in the lineary manner.

Is Cassandra not suitable for this kind of usage or not?

Best regards,

Ken.

--
Ken Matsumoto
VP / Research & Development

PLEASE READ:This e-mail is confidential and intended for the named
recipient only. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the
sender and delete this e-mail.

Re: any better way to retrieve data than using get_range_slices

Posted by Ken Matsumoto <ke...@nri.com>.
Thank you, Aaron.

Yes, we're now thinking Hadoop would be one of choices, too.
So far, it doesn't matter if we use "SQL" or not as long as Cassandra
can process millions of rows at a time in a practical time.

As a result, what kind of patterns should be Cassandra more powerful
than MySQL from the point of access patterns?

Best,

Ken.

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.