Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net> on 2016/06/28 14:26:25 UTC

problem with fractions in spreadsheet.

Thank you Wade for the reply.  Now on to the question.

  Whenever I’ve entered a fraction or a mixed number into my spreadsheet, upon hitting the enter button, the fraction immediately changes into a date.

For example I enter 5/32, upon hitting Enter the fraction shows up in the cell as 05/01/32.  Should I enter 6-1/3 it will show as 6 1/3.  However the screw size 4-40 will show as 04/01/40.  6 11/16  shows as 6 2/3.  This is not accuracy that is possible to use.

How can I get the spreadsheet to enter the fractions and mixed numbers as written?
Format -Numbers-Fractions yields no better results.

Please spell out the suggested solutions as simply as possible. I am definitely NOT computer savvy

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Vince

Vincent Juliano
vjuliano@optonline.net

Re: problem with fractions in spreadsheet

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:26 28/06/2016 -0400, Vincent A. Juliano wrote:
>Whenever I've entered a fraction or a mixed number into my
>spreadsheet, upon hitting the enter button, the fraction immediately
>changes into a date. For example I enter 5/32, upon hitting Enter
>the fraction shows up in the cell as 05/01/32.  Should I enter 6-1/3
>it will show as 6 1/3.  However the screw size 4-40 will show as
>04/01/40.  6 11/16  shows as 6 2/3.  This is not accuracy that is
>possible to use.

You need to appreciate that spreadsheets interpret your input when
assembling the value to be actually inserted in the cell. By default,
input sequences that appear to be dates or fractions will be
interpreted that way. (The same applies to percentages, currency
amounts, boolean values, and so on.) As well as the input sequence
being interpreted, the format of the cell is set appropriately. This
is a regular part of how spreadsheets work.

>How can I get the spreadsheet to enter the fractions and mixed
>numbers as written? Format -Numbers-Fractions yields no better results.

That depends on what you need. You talk about "entering fractions" -
but your screw size is not a fraction, of course, and perhaps none of
your values are. If you want what you type to appear in the cell
exactly as it is, you don't want a spreadsheet's normal numeric
values at all, but text. Format your cells (columns, ranges,
whatever) as Text *before* you enter the values and they will not be
(mis)interpreted. Yes, you can use the leading apostrophe trick -
which has the same effect - but that is intended for occasional
values that differ from those normally in, say, a column. You will
generally know in advance that values in a column need to be text and
entered just as you typed them, and simply formatting the column as
Text first is much simpler. You need to make simple design decisions
like this before entering values into any spreadsheet.

There are many sorts of data that look like numbers but are actually
not; other examples are numeric postal codes or telephone numbers.
What is the significance of one postal code or telephone number being
exactly twice another? None at all, as they are not really numbers
but strings of digits that look like numbers. Another clue is that a
leading zero on a postal code or telephone number is significant and
its inclusion or omission changes the meaning and effect.

Note that if you enter "5/32" as text, you will not be able to
calculate with its value. But in the above scenario you will not want
to do this. After all, two 4-40 screws do not in any sense make 8-80.

At 12:14 28/06/2016 -0400, Vincent A. Juliano wrote:
>In writing a fraction after going through the above. When entering 3
>11/16  the actual number printed is 3 2/3. That's a no no. the
>fraction value has been changed!
>I would venture to say there's a glitch somewhere. It's either in
>the open office or it's in my side. But something is not working at
>a all here. How can I follow up to get it fixed?

There is no glitch. If you enter "3 11/16" you will indeed see "3
2/3" in the cell display. Select the cell and look in the Input Line.
You will see "3.6875", which is the correct value. If your values
really were fractions, you would now have the correct (numeric) value
in the cell. But cell displays are always rounded, and the reason why
it appears as it does is that Calc's default Fraction format is "#
?/?" - which limits the numerator and denominator of the fraction to
single digits. If you change the Fraction format to "# ??/??" (which
you can do either before or after you enter the data), you will see
"3 11/16" displayed in the cell. But since you presumably don't want
numeric values at all, this is very probably irrelevant.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: problem with fractions in spreadsheet.

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.
Wade,
Thank you for the reply.
permit me to further explain.  You are correct in that going to format -numbers-fractions will give a fraction when entered but here’s what actually happens.

In writing a fraction after going through the above. When entering 3 11/16  the actual number printed is 3 2/3. That’s a no no. the fraction value has been changed!

Should the mixed number be entered as 3-11/16 the printed number in the cell is a date ….03/11/16.

I would venture to say there’s a glitch somewhere. It’s either in the open office or it’s in my side. But something is not working at a all here. How can I follow up to get it fixed?

And thank you.

Vince

Vincent Juliano
vjuliano@optonline.net

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.
Dennis,

Thank you but it ends up a  decimal number….accurate but a decimal.

Then when the cell was formatted to fraction ……upon entering 1/16 and clicking on Enter….1/9 was printed.  There’s demons in my machine I tell you!!!!!!   If you’re real quiet you can hear them laughing!!!!

Realistically, I have no idea what is preventing the fractions from being printed accurately or why they are printed as dates.

Maybe there are demons in the machine? Mmm.

Vince

Vincent Juliano
vjuliano@optonline.net

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.
Andrew!!!

It works, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so very much.

Vincent, Vincenzo,  Vicente, etc..

Vincent Juliano
vjuliano@optonline.net

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

be text.

Calc does not recognize fractions (at least not of which I am
aware).

Calc tries to be SMART so when it sees a number followed by a
slash, it thinks "hey, a date".

Avoid all of this by forcing the field
to contains text by beginning the entry with a single quote ' before you
enter the fraction.

On 28.06.2016 10:26, Vincent A. Juliano wrote:

Thank you Wade for the reply. Now on to the question.

> Whenever
I've entered a fraction or a mixed number into my spreadsheet, upon
hitting the enter button, the fraction immediately changes into a date.

> For example I enter 5/32, upon hitting Enter the fraction shows up
in the cell as 05/01/32. Should I enter 6-1/3 it will show as 6 1/3.
However the screw size 4-40 will show as 04/01/40. 6 11/16 shows as 6
2/3. This is not accuracy that is possible to use.

> How can I get
the spreadsheet to enter the fractions and mixed numbers as written?

Format -Numbers-Fractions yields no better results.

> Please spell
out the suggested solutions as simply as possible. I am definitely NOT
computer savvy

> Thank you for any help or suggestions.
>
> Vince

> Vincent Juliano
> vjuliano@optonline.net
>
> On Jun 28, 2016, at
8:43 AM, Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Vincent, you
just have to ask your question.
>> Someone will respond.
>>
>> --

Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Linux since June 2005

>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Vincent
A. Juliano <vj...@optonline.net> wrote:

>>> What is the proper
email address to get help for open office.

>>> Using Open office
since version 2.0 and forgot almost everything,

>>> Thank you

Vince