Posted to muse-dev@ws.apache.org by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/06/26 15:19:08 UTC

[VOTE] 2.0.0 Milestone #1 release

With a lot of help from its existing developers, the Apache Muse project
has welcomed a number of new faces to push the project forward to its next
major version and alignment with the future of Apache Web Services
(specifically, Axis2). I have personally worked with a lot of people who
have never met me but nevertheless were patient and helpful as I tried to
contribute code, understand processes, and gather support for the new
version.

I think the project (code and process) is finally at a point where we can
declare it stable and ready for the six-week release cycle we discussed
earlier this month; the next step is a "development milestone", or
"Milestone #1". This milestone is targeted at developers who are currently
(or would like to) contribute to Muse 2.0, as well as teams that may be
evaluating the new version for future use. It represents an important part
of our march towards 2.0.0 Final and also allows other OSS projects that
are looking to Muse for WSRF/WSDM support to work on their own milestones.

I would like to ask the PMC for their votes for a 2.0.0 M1 release of
Apache Muse. The release files can be found here:

http://www.apache.org/~danj/muse/2.0.0-M1/

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Jemiolo
IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park, NC

+++ I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat
donuts. +++

RE: [VOTE] 2.0.0 Milestone #1 release

Posted by "Campana Jr., Salvatore J" <sa...@hp.com>.
+1 from me!

________________________________

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:13 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> As to the ASF not doing milestone releases, I beg to differ:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=apache+milestone+release

OK fair enough - most are from projects under incubation but I see
others have done it too. I stand corrected.

> Given (a) that a Maven snapshot would be politically acceptable, but (b)
> Eclipse is not currently based on Maven, how would you suggest that Dan
> proceeds?

Very simple- set up maven snapshots to a maven repo somewhere and then
simply download the snapshot from that URL. A maven repo is just a Web
site- so just use the URL to get to it.

I must be missing something!

Sanjiva.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 Milestone #1 release

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi,

I'm sorry if the word "release" threw people off - I've seen various
Apache projects talk about setting "milestones" or "milestone releases" or
some variation of that and tried to emulate it as closely as possible. The
"-M1" format in particular was copied from some recent Apache
announcements.

I guess what is causing concern for our group is that the community -
through it's public conference calls[1] and diligently-recorded minutes -
had decided to make the milestone at this time, and that everyone could
depend on this for their related projects. On these calls, there were only
1-2 IBMers (often just me), meaning the other 75-85% of attendees were not
from IBM. Our leader, Sal, gave us a lot of support on this and was
instrumental in making sure all of the administrative process was done in
addition to the technical work. I feel like we've tried very hard to grow
the community, in a very open way, and that given our small numbers (and
the fact that I am a young programmer who has no clout with anyone), the
implication that IBM is ramrodding this to release is unfair.

I suppose the current Muse participants (especially me) are somewhat at
fault for failing to realize that we did not control our own destiny as
much as we thought. However, I believe our intentions are good, they are
consistent with other Apache projects/versions that are just building
steam, and they allow us to draw a line in the sand for other projects to
reference and debate.

We can create a Maven repository with the build, but a) there are non-jar
files we want to distribute, and b) we need some way to differentiate it
from more current snapshots (usually done by removing the -SNAPSHOT
suffix). To me this seems like what we proposed before (two zip files in a
repository), but it wouldn't be stored at www.apache.org/dist/muse/. Is
that the difference? Can we put up the files we have now if they're stored
in our own repository?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but as I said, our fledgling team has been
working on the assumption of this release for a while, and I do not
understand the ultimate difference between the two proposals. I'm trying
hard to meet the group's expectations, uphold ASF principles, and
distinguish this snapshot from others in a way that is easy to identify
for non-Apache people.

Dan

[1]  see "News" on http://ws.apache.org/muse/  or
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=muse-dev&m=114927142701490&w=2

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 11:59 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> At the other extreme, a PMC can vote to have a formal release, which
>> often is supported for multiple years.
>>
>> What is called for here?  The technical part is easy.  It is a snapshot,
>> it is a branch.  The hard part is what to call it.
>
> The subject has "release" in it Sam - which has specific meaning in the
> ASF as you know very well. That's what the mail was sent for- to permit
> a formal release. As such, I don't feel its right for this project to do
> a release at this stage.
>
> We don't culturally do "milestone releases" in the ASF (this is for the
> Muse folks not for Sam obviously). The solution for that is to use a
> specific revision of the SVN repo and build off that .. or just use
> Maven snapshots.

As to the ASF not doing milestone releases, I beg to differ:

http://www.google.com/search?q=apache+milestone+release

> OF COURSE I agree its a Good Thing (TM) for other projects to use this
> code. However, it a CRITICAL THING for any ASF release to meet the usual
> ASF release criteria. Do you seriously feel Sam that a project that
> basically imported itself from IBM a few weeks ago is ready for a
> release? I don't accept it is.

Given (a) that a Maven snapshot would be politically acceptable, but (b)
Eclipse is not currently based on Maven, how would you suggest that Dan
proceeds?

> Sanjiva.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 Milestone #1 release

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
The need for a stable drive is understandable but from the ASF
perspective I don't think its acceptable to do a release so fast after a
MAJOR code import/donation from IBM. I'd like to see the community get
more "into" the new world before releasing the product as an ASF
product. Otherwise its like an IBM product released under the ASF name
and that's not acceptable.

So I'm -1 on it but I encourage other PMC members to take a look and
vote.

Sanjiva.

Posted by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,