Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrus <ee...@online.ee> on 2003/11/28 16:24:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Corrupted output from Apache

I was able to reproduce this doing the following:

1. Use Apache from
http://hunter.campbus.com/Apache_2.0.48-Openssl_0.9.7c-Win32.zip file

in Windows XP Professional SP1
(actually, SSL is not used)

2. No antivirus and firewall software is installed.

3. Internet connection and router are present in LAN. It seems thay they
does't affect to the result, since http://locahost address is used in test.

4. Use the config file  www.eetasoft.ee/apache/httpd.conf . Create the
appropiate
directories.  Note that

EnableSendfile Off
KeepAlive Off

However, turning those settings On does'nt affect to the result.

I can provide all files and directory structure used in this test.
However, It is probable that this problem occurs using standard apache
config file (haven't tried). There is nothing fancy (or maybe relative
directory names are?) in this config file or apache installation.

5. Copy the www.eetasoft.ee/apache/bmp/eeva.bmp to the wwwroot subdirectory.

6. Start Apache from main directory using commands

bin\Apache -k install
bin\Apache -k start

7.  Type

http://localhost/eeva.bmp

in IE 6

8. Observed result:

bmp file displayed in browser is corrupted. There are small horizontal lines
visible in image. See www.eetasoft.ee/apache/bmp/overhttp.bmp

File size reported in IE File/Properties is correct (88204 bytes).

Actually, all files greater that 16 kb are corrupted in some places a bit.
File sizes reported or saved from browser are correct. Corruption seems to
occur at some block level.

One other test:

www.eetasoft.ee/apache/js/coolmenus4.js is the file original file.

I saved it three times from IE to local disk and got the different
corruptions:

www.eetasoft.ee/apache/js/overhttp1.js
www.eetasoft.ee/apache/js/overhttp2.js
www.eetasoft.ee/apache/js/overhttp3.js

9. This corruption occurs only in some sites. I'm unable to reproduce this
corruption in my ofiice. However, it occurs in two different customer sites
having the same Apache installation.

10. Similar problem is described in

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Support/IncompletePagesOnDec012000Rel
http://forums.devshed.com/archive/15/2002/11/3/47306

and also in some of threads in this list.

Unfortunately, no reasonalbe solution (other than downgrading to Apace 1) is
provided. I have'nt tried to downgrade.

11. Output from https://localhost/server-info :
Server Settings, mod_status.c, mod_ssl.c, mod_setenvif.c, mod_negotiation.c,
mod_mime.c, mod_log_config.c, mod_info.c, mod_dir.c, mod_cgi.c, mod_auth.c,
mod_alias.c, mod_access.c, mod_so.c, http_core.c, mpm_winnt.c, mod_win32.c,
core.c
----
Server Version: Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.0.48 OpenSSL/0.9.7c
Server Built: Nov 1 2003 21:39:52
API Version: 20020903:4

12.  Corruption also occurs if accessed over internet.
I can open this site for public access over internet for some day if
required.
A Fatal Exception occurs in Firebird 0.7 and Mozilla 1.4 if trying to load
(corrupted) eeva.bmp and pressing Refresh button.

Any help ?

Andrus.