Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Andre Bonhote <an...@colt.net> on 2005/01/27 14:38:07 UTC

Jetspeed-2 Clustering

Hi!

It's my first post, and I am completely new to Jetspeed, so bear with me
please.

The idea is to deploy a portal on n machines, where n is 4 at the
moment. We would like to have some pretty load balancers in front of
them, the boxes are located in two countries. As this is usual for good
portals, the user/customer should not care about where he is.

The jetspeed-2 installation will access an oracle 10 database. Now
there's my question: Since it doesn't make sense (IMHO) to put the
oracle beast on all the 4 machines, is it possible to have all 4
jetspeed installations access the same database? Or even, the same
tablespace? Or do I have to create users for each server?

Is there a clustering guide somewhere? I am quite stuck at the moment,
to be honest.

Thanks for your kind help in advance

Cheers

André

--
___ ___ ___ ___
\C/ \O/ \L/ \T/   Andre Bonhote            t: +41 (0)1 5 600 600

Re: Jetspeed-2 Clustering

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Andre Bonhote wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It's my first post, and I am completely new to Jetspeed, so bear with me
> please.
>
> The idea is to deploy a portal on n machines, where n is 4 at the
> moment. We would like to have some pretty load balancers in front of
> them, the boxes are located in two countries. As this is usual for good
> portals, the user/customer should not care about where he is.
>
> The jetspeed-2 installation will access an oracle 10 database. Now
> there's my question: Since it doesn't make sense (IMHO) to put the
> oracle beast on all the 4 machines, is it possible to have all 4
> jetspeed installations access the same database? Or even, the same
> tablespace? Or do I have to create users for each server?

I have clustered Jetspeed 1.6-dev and 1.5 in several installations.

Jetspeed-2 is not quite cluster ready, but I think it was designed much
better than Jetspeed-1 for clustering. Many of the components already
persist their state in a database, so therer is not a lot of need for
tweaking the implementations like we had to do in 1.6.

The plan is to work on clustering for the final release.

Current problems I see with Jetspeed-2 and clustering:

* PSML stored on the file system
* lots of use of the session
* cache synchronization on a number of components

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Jetspeed-2 Clustering

Posted by Andre Bonhote <an...@colt.net>.
Guys,

Keep answering, you're making my day. It's a hell lot of information,
and I am happy to learn about all that!

Thanks a lot!

André (pleased to get so much feedback)

--
___ ___ ___ ___

Re: Jetspeed-2 Clustering

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
As far as PSML and related content, J2 will support a CMS solution using
Graffito in the near future.

In addition, we are still considering a DB based solution as well.

Randy

Re: Jetspeed-2 Clustering

Posted by Dan Moore <mo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Jetspeed-2 Clustering