Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jens Skripczynski <sk...@myrealbox.com> on 2003/04/09 00:30:01 UTC

[OT] Re: content negotiation with tomcat

Reynir Hübner:
> ..now to the "off topic" discussion if this is a good concept or not :
> I am not sure I am understanding the whole concept, I really understand why I
> should do this with normal URLS ("human readable" and "bookmarkable", urls are good)
> but I can't understand why I should want to do this with .gifs or .jpegs, or even
> any other static content. The reasone for I am saying this is the fact when I click
> a link I want to know if I am about to download a simple jpeg or a webpage or even a
> pdf. I think that is something the user might want to know before clicking the link,
> and I think that is a matter of browseability of a webpage.
I belief this system is to used for all external available URL's.

For exmaple images (the ever famous "valid html xxx" pictures do follow this example)
the official URL is
'http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/images/vcss'
'http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-xhtml10'

So if sometime in the future the w3.org beliefs they should change ihe image
content from jpg to png these URL will still be valid.

Of course some dot jpg for a bullet list on a webpage is unlikely to be linked
by someone externally.

> The most probable cause for me not understanding the concept is the fact that I cannot
> read the page : http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI as I always get some error response "Not Acceptable"....

> Maybe someone can clarify this for me ?
What Browser are you using ?

To me: lynx, Opera, IE work
---
Lynx Programmversion 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.6b
Kompiliert auf linux-gnu, Jul 31 2001 09:03:10
---

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
--
E-Mail: skripi-lists(at)myrealbox(dot)com

Wisdom comes with age,
but sometimes age comes alone.