Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Kujtim Hyseni <ku...@hotmail.com> on 2013/08/07 15:48:02 UTC

Xerces for Java Installation

Dear David,

I have downloaded the zips and jar-ed as suggested in http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/install.html i.e.

jar xf Xerces-J-bin.2.11.0.zip
jar xf Xerces-J-tools.2.11.0.zip

but when I try to build some samples the Java compiler doesn't recognizes some imports such org.apache.xerces... but only org.xml.sax... for which I understood that some earlier version of Xerces is included in Java SE.

The problem is that I want to install and use the Xerces for Java which is presented in http://xerces.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

Can You help me with this. Should I take the files after "jar xf Xerces-J-bin.2.11.0.zip" command and place at Java lib folder (I am using Windows 7) or include the xerces-2_11_0 folder in environment variable?

Waiting for Your response,

Best Regards,
Kujtim Hyseni

Re: Xerces for Java Installation

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Do you have xercesImpl.jar in the compiler classpath?

Jake

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I don't use Netbeans.  Is this "Jar/Folder options" part of the Netbeans
itself or the project classpath?  I would think you would add it to the
project classpath just like any other jar that you want your project to
compile against.

BTW, I suggest not directly depending on classes in the "org.apache.xerces"
package.  That's all internal implementation stuff.  You should be depending
on the standard public XML APIs.  That said, being able to reference
"org.apache.xerces" is proof that Xerces is, indeed, in your classpath.  But I
would only use it for that and not have project classes depend upon the
internal Xerces implementation.

Jake

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:38:31 +0000

Posted by Kujtim Hyseni <ku...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jake and thanks for replying,

no I don't intend to change anything in Xerces, simply I just use Xerces for XML processing. Of course I am using only public XML APIs.
I think my problem is very simple, I will just check in the internet how to use (external) jars in NetBeans and that would be all!

Regards.