Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2007/03/01 00:11:36 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Michael Jouravlev wrote:
> Paul, do you think that STR-3009 -- ActionRedirect from ForwardConfig
> not redirecting properly -- should be fixed for 1.3.7 to minimize the
> impact of 1.3.5 ActionRedirect behavior?

I believe once a release is tagged, it cannot be undone. There is a
ticket list for 1.3.8 which you can work on. If you believe the 1.3.5
forwarding behavior is an issue, you can give your unbinding -1. What do
you think?

Paul

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 2/28/07, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Michael Jouravlev wrote:
> > > Paul, do you think that STR-3009 -- ActionRedirect from ForwardConfig
> > > not redirecting properly -- should be fixed for 1.3.7 to minimize the
> > > impact of 1.3.5 ActionRedirect behavior?
> > >
> > I believe once a release is tagged, it cannot be undone. There is a
> > ticket list for 1.3.8 which you can work on. If you believe the 1.3.5
> > forwarding behavior is an issue, you can give your unbinding -1. What do
> > you think?
>
> I don't really use this class. I wrote my own version before
> ActionRedirect was checked into the core lib. Not an issue for me.

Its not something that would stop me voting 1.3.7 GA - so IMO its
really down to you Paul. If you feel its important and have the energy
to roll a 1.3.8 with this issue fixed then go for it. If not then lets
carry on with the 1.3.7 vote.

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/28/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> Michael Jouravlev wrote:
> > I believe once a release is tagged, it cannot be undone.
>
> Is this a consequence of the release process?  Just curious because I
> don't think it's a limitation of SVN.
>
> Frank

Consequence. You don't want to have two builds named 1.3.7 that are
not in fact the same thing.

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Is the aim to start a vote on 1.3.8 as soon as STR-3009 is ready?
That's my plan. It's a one-liner to fix. I'll put up a 1.3.8 this
weekend and call another vote.

Paul

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > [  ] Leave at test build
> > [  ] Alpha
> > [X ] Beta
> > [  ] General Availability (GA)
> >
> > I cast my vote to fix ActionRedirect in 1.3.8:
> > https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-3009
> >
> > Do any other Struts committers object? The complaint is that
> > ActionRedirect does not enforce "redirect=true" in 1.3.5 (but was in
> > 1.2.9), and I will be putting back that constraint for 1.3.8.
> >
> > The vote will end tonight.
>
> (non-binding) +1 on Beta

Same here. Who knows when 1.4 will be rolled out, so the sooner this
get fixed the better.

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> [  ] Leave at test build
> [  ] Alpha
> [X ] Beta
> [  ] General Availability (GA)
>
> I cast my vote to fix ActionRedirect in 1.3.8:
> https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-3009
>
> Do any other Struts committers object? The complaint is that
> ActionRedirect does not enforce "redirect=true" in 1.3.5 (but was in
> 1.2.9), and I will be putting back that constraint for 1.3.8.
>
> The vote will end tonight.

(non-binding) +1 on Beta - though I'm really '+1 what Paul thinks as he's RM'.

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> We choose not to re-use a tag after a build has been released, where
> "released" means the PMC has voted on the build. But, if it's still a
> test-build, and it would be helpful to retag it for some reason, then
> "no harm, no foul". I've been known to reset a tag up to three times
> before calling a vote. This situation is nebulous, since there is a
> vote thread, but no actual votes :)

I agree with what Ted - from a purely practical PoV the effort
required to re-tag and rebuild a 1.3.7 version would be no different
from creating a 1.3.8 version. So for me I think its less confusing to
just roll 1.3.8 - but I don't have a strong opinion so would leave it
down to the RM whose actually doing the work.

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Good info, thanks Ted and Jenri.

Frank

Ted Husted wrote:
> We choose not to re-use a tag after a build has been released, where
> "released" means the PMC has voted on the build. But, if it's still a
> test-build, and it would be helpful to retag it for some reason, then
> "no harm, no foul". I've been known to reset a tag up to three times
> before calling a vote. This situation is nebulous, since there is a
> vote thread, but no actual votes :)
>
> If a tag is reused, it's important to delete the old one first.
>
> * svn delete
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts1/tags/STRUTS_#_#_#
> -m "STR-### Removing first try at #.#.#."
>
> -Ted.
>
> On 2/28/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Michael Jouravlev wrote:
>> > Paul, do you think that STR-3009 -- ActionRedirect from ForwardConfig
>> > not redirecting properly -- should be fixed for 1.3.7 to minimize the
>> > impact of 1.3.5 ActionRedirect behavior?
>> >
>> I believe once a release is tagged, it cannot be undone. There is a
>> ticket list for 1.3.8 which you can work on. If you believe the 1.3.5
>> forwarding behavior is an issue, you can give your unbinding -1. What do
>> you think?
>>
>> Paul

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com
AIM/Yahoo: fzammetti
MSN: fzammetti@hotmail.com
  (2006, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-695-1)

Re: [VOTE] Struts 1.3.7 Quality

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
We choose not to re-use a tag after a build has been released, where
"released" means the PMC has voted on the build. But, if it's still a
test-build, and it would be helpful to retag it for some reason, then
"no harm, no foul". I've been known to reset a tag up to three times
before calling a vote. This situation is nebulous, since there is a
vote thread, but no actual votes :)

If a tag is reused, it's important to delete the old one first.

* svn delete https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts1/tags/STRUTS_#_#_#
-m "STR-### Removing first try at #.#.#."

-Ted.

On 2/28/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Michael Jouravlev wrote:
> > Paul, do you think that STR-3009 -- ActionRedirect from ForwardConfig
> > not redirecting properly -- should be fixed for 1.3.7 to minimize the
> > impact of 1.3.5 ActionRedirect behavior?
> >
> I believe once a release is tagged, it cannot be undone. There is a
> ticket list for 1.3.8 which you can work on. If you believe the 1.3.5
> forwarding behavior is an issue, you can give your unbinding -1. What do
> you think?
>
> Paul

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/