Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Luke Miller <mi...@integraonline.com> on 2002/08/01 04:25:52 UTC

MPM worker under Linux starts 57 processes...

I am having a problem with the worker MPM and Linux.  Here is what I am
running:

Apache 2.0.39
Redhat Linux 7.3 running kernel 2.4.18-3

All I have done is configure it with the MPM of worker, compiled and
installed
it.  I am running the default configuration (I only changed the document
root
and e-mail address).

When I start up apache it starts the main (parent) process and 57 children
processes.  I had this happen on another Linux system as well, there I just
went and used the prefer MPM instead which worked fine.

Here are the server thread settings from httpd.conf:

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients         150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

Has anyone seen this before?  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Luke

Re: MPM worker under Linux starts 57 processes...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Luke Miller wrote:
> When I start up apache it starts the main (parent) process and 57 children
> processes.

On Linux, threads look like processes to utilities like top and ps.  This
is perfectly normal.  You probably only have two "real" processes, each of
which has 25 threads, and then there are some utility threads/processes
hanging around to make up the difference.

Joshua.