Posted to apps-dev@avalon.apache.org by Richard Wallace <rw...@a--i--m.com> on 2002/11/22 02:36:36 UTC

Sevak Catalina problems

Hey all,

I've been trying to get Sevak Catalina implementation and demo to run in
Phoenix.  I haven't had any success so far.

My first problem was that Phoenix didn't want to even try and create the
blocks.  It kept giving me the following message on the console:

Unable to create BlockInfo as are unable to locate resource
"org/apache/avalon/apps/sevak/blocks/catalina/startup/Bootstrap.xinfo".

So, I did some looking and sure enough it looks as though the class
o.a.a.a.sevak.blocks.catalina.startup.Bootstrap is no longer used (in
fact, it's been deleted), but is still referenced from the
src/demo/conf/catalina-assembly.xml file.

I looked though the classes available in the blocks.catalina package and
found the replacement CatalinaSevakBootstrap class.   I changed the
catalina-assembly.xml file to use this as instead of the old Bootstrap
block.

Things seem to be better now.  Phoenix at least creates the blocks and
starts going through their lifecycles.  But, when it calls initiailze()
on the CatalinaSevakBoostrap class, it fails with a
ClassNotFoundException, saying it can't find
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.  I noticed this was
getting added to the sar in the common/lib directory, so I tried to put
it in the SAR-INF/lib directory thinking that would make it available to
the class loader when the block is being initialized.  No luck.

I've tried everything I can think to try for the moment, any one else
have any ideas?

Note: I've attached a diff of the changes I made to the
catalina-assembly.xml file.  While poking around I also noticed some
oddities in the build.xml file where two jar were being created:
sevak-catalina.jar, which was empty, and sevak-catalina-impl.jar which
had the actual class and xinfo files in it.  Oh, and it was generated
from the jakarta-avalon-apps/sevak directory (didn't want any changes
anywhere else to be included by accident).

--
Richard Wallace <rw...@a--i--m.com>
AIM, Inc.

Re: Sevak Catalina problems

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Richard,

>Note: I've attached a diff of the changes I made to the
>catalina-assembly.xml file........

Applied,  thanks.

We're doing renewed work on the Jetty block impl of Sevak. As such all
are likely to be improved slightly.

- Paul

Re: Sevak Catalina problems

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
Long time user of Tomcat... I've even written my own Java app that starts up
an embedded Tomcat container complete with using Security Realms.

Haven't used Jetty before, so I don't have any experience with it.  I'm not
opposed to giving it a whirl.  I'm assuming I can programmatically deploy
WARs and it has some sort of Security Realm -esque feature that can
authenticate users against a database.

I'm starting a prototype of my server now.  I've got the embedded database
in Phoenix figured out.  Testing the DataSourceSelector now.  My next step
is adding a sevak container in the mix.  My 1st milestone Phoenix prototype
includes:

Startup server w/
(1) config parameter to switch between using JDBC to an embedded HSQL
database or to an external MySQL server
(2) sevak container using security realms (users/roles in either embedded or
external database) and auto-deploy a test webapp WAR
(3) hit my webapp from a browser and test authentication (against the
configured database).

My timetable for this first milestone is sometime early December.  Once that
is working, then I'm off writing other blocks/webapps that will handle
various HTTP POSTs to the servlet container.  Would like to have a decent
prototype functioning to show my superiors by the end of the year.

Re: Sevak Catalina problems

Re: Sevak Catalina problems

Posted by Richard Wallace <rw...@a--i--m.com>.
I have some components that I can work on in the interim.  For testing I
can always just use a standalone tomcat server.  I'm not looking at
actaully deploying anything for some time, really.

Richard Wallace <rw...@a--i--m.com>
AIM, Inc.

Re: Sevak Catalina problems

Posted by Daniel Krieg <dk...@kc.rr.com>.