Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Baptiste Autin - Linkeo RD <ba...@linkeo.com> on 2010/01/12 09:52:49 UTC

Java class reloading and Tomcat

Hello,

Really sorry to bother you with this topic, but T5 class reloading
doesn't work for us.
I am aware that this is not necessary related to Tapestry, but I need
confirmation.

We use Tomcat along with MyEclipse and Tapestry 5.1.0.4.
We have tried different versions of Tomcat (the latest included).

Actually, when we change the java class of a Tapestry page/component, we
can see that the corresponding .class file is correctly deployed in the
webapp of Tomcat, and we can check that the bytecode contains the
modifications we made.
But these modifications remain invisible in the page.
If we remove this .class file and reload the page, Tapestry complains.
If we restore the file, Tapestry stops complaining but still continues
to use the previous version of the .class file, not the new one !
Of course we have tried the various tips we found here and there over
the forums (disable-caching=false, page-pool.active-window=5s,
production-mode=false...)
So my questions are:
- can you confirm that there is still an issue with the "Tapestry class
reloading feature" and Tomcat ?
- does anyone know the magic Tomcat configuration that allows class
reloading to work ? (we use the default configuration)

Thanks,

Baptiste

Re: Java class reloading and Tomcat

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.
I use tomcat with tapestry and class reloading works without problems.
I don't have any special configuration. I launch tomcat from inside
eclipse using the following config file:

<Context path="/nebula" reloadable="false"
docBase="/Users/jmayaalv/Documents/workspace/nebula/nebula-web/src/main/webapp"
workDir="/Users/jmayaalv/Documents/workspace/nebula/nebula-web/work" >
	<Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.SystemOutLogger"
verbosity="4" timestamp="true"/>
	<Loader className="org.apache.catalina.loader.DevLoader"
reloadable="true" debug="1" useSystemClassLoaderAsParent="false" />
</Context>

I hope it helps.