Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Hagos, A.S." <A....@tue.nl> on 2012/10/12 10:23:03 UTC

what is more important (RAM vs Cores)

Hi All,
For of my projects I want to buy a machine to host Casssandra database.
The options I am offered are machines with 16GB RAM with Quad-Core processor and 6GB RAM with Hexa-Core processor.
Which one do you recommend, big RAM or  high number of cores?

greetings
Ambes

Re: what is more important (RAM vs Cores)

Posted by "B. Todd Burruss" <bt...@gmail.com>.
i would not worry as much about the single machine specs.  find the
sweet spot on price for CPU and RAM and by that, then scale horizontal
to meet your demand.

but .. if i was pressed for a general statement -choose RAM over CPU

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain HARDOUIN <ro...@urssaf.fr>.

Posted by Tim Wintle <ti...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 10:20 +0000, Viktor Jevdokimov wrote:
> IMO, in most cases you'll be limited by the RAM first.

+1 - I've seen our 8-core boxes limited by RAM and inter-rack
networking, but not by CPU (yet).

Tim

RE: what is more important (RAM vs Cores)

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com>.
IMO, in most cases you'll be limited by the RAM first.
Take into account size of sstables, you will need to keep bloom filters and indexes in RAM and if it will not fit, 4 cores, or 24 cores doesn't matter, except you're on SSD.

You need to design first, stress test second, conclude last.

Best regards / Pagarbiai

Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com