Posted to user@flink.apache.org by M Singh <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2019/11/22 19:54:55 UTC

Apache Flink - Troubleshooting exception while starting the job from savepoint

Hi:
I have a flink application in which some of the operators have uid and name and some stateless ones don't.
I've taken a save point and tried to start another instance of the application from a savepoint - I get the following exception which indicates that the operator is not available to the new program even though the second job is the same as first but just running from the first jobs savepoint.

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to rollback to checkpoint/savepoint s3://mybucket/state/savePoint/mysavepointfolder/66s4c6402d7532801287290436fa9fadd/savepoint-664c64-fa235d26d379. Cannot map checkpoint/savepoint state for operator d1a56c5a9ce5e3f1b03e01cac458bb4f to the new program, because the operator is not available in the new program. If you want to allow to skip this, you can set the --allowNonRestoredState option on the CLI.

 at org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.Checkpoints.loadAndValidateCheckpoint(Checkpoints.java:205)

 at org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator.restoreSavepoint(CheckpointCoordinator.java:1102)

 at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster.tryRestoreExecutionGraphFromSavepoint(JobMaster.java:1219)

 at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster.createAndRestoreExecutionGraph(JobMaster.java:1143)

 at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobMaster.<init>(JobMaster.java:294)

 at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobManagerRunner.<init>(JobManagerRunner.java:157)

 ... 10 more

I've tried to start an application instance from the checkpoint too of the first instance but it gives the same exception indicating that the operator is not available.
Questions:
1. If this a problem because some of the operators don't have uid ?2. Is it required to have uids even for stateless operators like simple map or filter operators ?3. Is there a way to find out which operator is not available in the new application even though I am running the same application ?4. Is there a way to figure out if this is the only missing operator or are there others whose mapping is missing for the second instance run ?5. Is this issue resolved in Apache Flink 1.9 (since I am still using Flink 1.6)
If there any additional pointers please let me know.
Thanks
Mans

Re: Apache Flink - Troubleshooting exception while starting the job from savepoint

Posted by Congxian Qiu <qc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As the doc[1] said we should assign uid to all the stateful operators. If
you do not set uid for an operator, Flink will generate an operatorId for
it, AFAIK, operatorId will not change as far as the job DAG does not change.

you can skip the operator's state which is not in the new job, please ref
to doc[2], and theses operators will start from scratch.

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/ops/state/savepoints.html#should-i-assign-ids-to-all-operators-in-my-job
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.9/ops/state/savepoints.html#what-happens-if-i-delete-an-operator-that-has-state-from-my-job