Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeremy Fairbrass <jf...@hotmail.com> on 2006/10/17 16:17:56 UTC

FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD bug??

G'day everyone,
I received a legitimate email from Hotmail today, which (I believe)
inappropriately triggered the FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD rule in my SpamAssassin
(version 3.1.5). The email from Hotmail was actually a bounce-back to an
email sent by one of my users to a Hotmail address - it was bouncing back as
a "no such user" error from Hotmail, but I think that's not relevant.

There were only two Received headers in the email from Hotmail, and they are
as follows (unchanged except for the munging of mydomain.com). The top-most
Received header was added by my server, and is therefore reliable, as is the
Hotmail IP stated there - 65.54.246.140. Can anyone tell me why the
FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD rule misfired, and what I might be able to do about
it?....

 by mail.mydomain.com (mail.mydomain.com [87.230.126.33])
 (MDaemon PRO v9.5.0gm1)
 with ESMTP id md50000068214.msg
 for <us...@mydomain.com>; Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:25:51 +0200

bay0-omc2-s4.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
  Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:52:09 -0700

Cheers,
Jeremy