Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> on 2010/08/02 20:40:02 UTC

This is nonsense

Dear Thrift Community,

Some time ago, Bryan Duxbury volunteered to be release manager for
Thrift, and has, since then, put a lot of effort into producing
releases, rolling six release candidates, each one closer to meeting the
set of legal requirements desired by the incubator. These requirements
all in place to make it as clear as possible the terms on which end
users can use the software.

For each RC, he has submitted a vote on thrift-dev, asking for folks to
validate that both the code is good and, to the best of their knowledge,
the release is validly licensed/etc.

These votes can be taken to show the extent to which the community is
behind a release. By community I am not limiting it to committers -
include anyone actively participating in the development of the code and
community.

Until yesterday, Bryan's last RC has not had a single response nor vote
in five days. It still only has votes from mentors, and none from the
Thrift community.

I can only take this as a sign that the Thrift community is either not
behind Bryan's releases, or more likely that the Thrift community is not
behind formally releasing code.

Without cracking this release issue, Thrift will not leave the incubator
(seeing as *releasing* open source code to the public is what the ASF
exists for), and incubator is not a permanent place for projects. Thrift
needs to be setting its sights on graduating, or on moving elsewhere.

Am I right in my assumption that the Thrift community is not interested
in releasing code? Is everyone happy just running off trunk? Am I
missing something? Do folks actually want Thrift to release code? Or
should Thrift move somewhere else and just get on with developing the
codebase as it generally does now?

Upayavira

Re: This is nonsense

Posted by Steven Ong <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

There are two point I need to make regarding this issue:

1. I am still brand new to the Apache process, could someone send me some
online information of how to proceeding the vote etc.

2. I have created a jira (THRIFT-757) (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-757) sometime ago regarding
some issues with the C++. All the fixes are there (if you follow the URL),
but I still haven't seen the fixes being add into the load. Is there
anything else in the procedure I am missing?

Thanks,
Steven

RE: This is nonsense

Re: This is nonsense

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
As usual, I can't speak for anyone else, but...

Facebook always has been and likely always will be running off of trunk, so my
interest in releases is limited to what's required to make Thrift succeed as
an open-source project.

As for RC6, sorry it took me so long to get around to it.  I just gave it my +1.

--David

Re: This is nonsense

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Ah, sorry, I found the thread now - it somehow got filtered to the wrong
gmail label over here. Apologies for the noise.

-Todd

Re: This is nonsense

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Upayavira,