Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/04 14:40:10 UTC

Re: CALCITE-4140 Configure Gradle Remote Build Cache to speedup builds

>There's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20516
>on ASF-managed build cache node.

The infra ticket is still in TBD status :-/

In the meantime, I've discovered that https://wasabi.com/ provide S3 object
storage with 0 costs for network egress.
I've created a bucket there and I configured GitHub Actions CI to populate
the build cache.

If you use a similar Java version (8, 11, or 15), then your builds should
be able to reuse CI results.
For instance, if you rebase onto a newer master that includes linq4j
changes, then
your machine does not need to run Checkstyle and compile it.

Hopefully, we could make the build more cache-friendly which would reduce
overall waste, and
it might enable us to have faster CI feedback and run more tests.

Please let me know what is your experience with the cache.

In the future, we could make unit-tests cacheable.
For instance, PartiallyOrderedSetTest and LatticeTest are compute-intensive.
However, the tests are deterministic, so they always produce the same
results provided the test classpath is the same.
Those types of tests look like a good fit for caching.

Just in case, the cache can be disabled with -Ps3.build.cache=false.

Vladimir