Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/19 23:11:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] Code freeze for Pulsar 2.12

Hi Pulsar community,

It's great that we released Pulsar 2.11. It has taken quite some time to
stabilize the release branch and now we have more than 5 months of awesome
features and commits on the master branch that would benefit a lot to our
users. That's why I'd like to propose to start a code freeze for the
release of Pulsar 2.12 with a target release date by mid/end-february.
Hopefully this release will be easier to stabilize but we don't know for
sure, so better to start the release activities asap.
We also need a release manager. Nicolo proposed himself last time but had
to hand over because of his holiday schedule. So Nicolo, maybe you'd like
to propose yourself again for this one ? Otherwise I'm happy to volunteer.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Christophe

Re: [DISCUSS] Code freeze for Pulsar 2.12

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno gio 2 feb 2023 alle ore 08:08 Haiting Jiang
<ji...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> > Following PIP-175, we have to provide the first LTS release which will be 3.0.
>
> Actuall as discussed in [1], the first LTS release is 2.10 for being
> the last Java 8 release.
> The major version 3.0 bump would simply signal the type of the release.
>
> I think we should make a VOTE on PIP-175 officially.

I agree
Enrico

Posted by Haiting Jiang <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.
I have updated the milestone name from 2.12.0 to 3.0.0.

https://github.com/apache/pulsar/milestone/34

Penghui

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.
From my understanding we should follow PIP-175.

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Christophe,

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.

Posted by ma...@gmail.com.

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.

> 2.11 has just been released and the release cycle is set to 3 months.

The release cycle wasn't really respected for 2.11...
We already have 5 months worth of features on the master branch and nothing
tells us that the release of 2.12 won't take 5 more months. And if we add 3
months to that...

> It's not a good idea to call for code freezes without appropriate
> warning, and code freezes don't make sense in general: the "master"
> branch must always be open for business.

> There was already a proposal to codify a formal release plan with
> prescribed timings for release RCs and stabilization.
> (https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/15966)
> It was actually discussed already very recently ((offline) that it's a
> good time to formally adopt it for the next release.

The code freeze I'm proposing is the one from this release plan. It's a
code freeze of the release branch, not of master.
Sorry if that was not clear. I used the word "code freeze" because that's
the one used in the PR. Maybe it's inappropriate and should be changed in
the PR.

Re: [DISCUSS] Code freeze for Pulsar 2.12

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.