Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2007/10/22 02:57:22 UTC

Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

I'm trying to deploy Roller 4.0 on Geronimo 2.0.2. I can't figure out
where to put roller-custom.properties in Geronimo's directory
structure. I've tried /lib, /lib/endorsed and /repository and none of
them work. Any ideas?

Here's the geronimo-web.xml I'm using in case anyone else wants to try
this. I had to create MySQLPool in Geronimo's console.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.1">

    <environment>
        <moduleId>
            <artifactId>Roller</artifactId>
        </moduleId>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>console.dbpool</groupId>
                <artifactId>MySQL</artifactId>
            </dependency>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
                <artifactId>javamail</artifactId>
                <type>car</type>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </environment>

    <context-root>/roller</context-root>

    <!-- define a reference name to the db pool-->
    <resource-ref>
        <ref-name>jdbc/rollerdb</ref-name>
        <resource-link>MySQL</resource-link>
    </resource-ref>

    <resource-ref>
        <ref-name>mail/Session</ref-name>
        <!-- Default Geronimo mail session -->
        <resource-link>mail/MailSession</resource-link>
    </resource-ref>
</web-app>

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

Posted by Jonathan Chen <da...@gmail.com>.
Try using the deployment plan from the archives:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/roller-dev/200710.mbox/%3cb72e8fc60710011426t635a87f9ub5a3e5b0b7c6f17b@mail.gmail.com%3e

The filtered entries will load from the enclosed archive rather than
the container.

Hope this helps.
--
Jonathan Chen <da...@gmail.com>

Re: Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

Posted by fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com>.

Dave Johnson-8 wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007 4:39 AM, fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,Matt,
>> i've a Problem with Geronimo 2.0.2 and Roller 4.0 and derby 10.2.2
>> Perhapse it's because roller uses openjpa-0.9.7-incubating.jar and
>> Geronimo
>> openjpa-1.0.0.jar.
>>
>> I could create the derby-Database and a User, but I couldn't create  a
>> weblog.
>>  because of an Foreign-Key-Vailolation
>>  <openjpa-1.0.0-r420667:568756 fatal store error>
>
> Yep, Roller 4.0 will not work with OpenJPA 1.0. We include OpenJPA
> 0.9.7 and that's what we expect Roller to use.
>
> - Dave

Whe I just use the Geronimo Ressourcen deployed with a deploymenplan

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0">

    <environment>
        <moduleId>
            <artifactId>Roller</artifactId>
        </moduleId>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>console.dbpool</groupId>
                <artifactId>derby</artifactId>
            </dependency>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
                <artifactId>javamail</artifactId>
                <type>car</type>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </environment>

    <context-root>/roller</context-root>

    <!-- define a reference name to the db pool-->
    <resource-ref>
        <ref-name>jdbc/rollerdb</ref-name>
        <resource-link>derby</resource-link>
    </resource-ref>

    <resource-ref>
        <ref-name>mail/Session</ref-name>
        <!-- Default Geronimo mail session -->
        <resource-link>mail/MailSession</resource-link>
    </resource-ref>
</web-app>

I can create Blog's, Register user with
http://localhost:8080/roller/roller-ui/register.rol.
Only as an Admin I can't create a user with
http://localhost:8080/roller/roller-ui/admin/createUser.rol. Theres is still
the SQL-Error
So better use the Ressource-Provider from Geronimo, to get it running not
the installation.type=auto
And also increase the JVM  -XX:MaxPermSize=128m in this combination

Re: Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com>.
Hi Dave,Matt,

i've a Problem with Geronimo 2.0.2 and Roller 4.0 and derby 10.2.2
Perhapse it's because roller uses openjpa-0.9.7-incubating.jar and Geronimo
openjpa-1.0.0.jar.

I could create the derby-Database and a User, but I couldn't create  a
weblog.
 because of an Foreign-Key-Vailolation
 <openjpa-1.0.0-r420667:568756 fatal store error>
 org.apache.openjpa.persistence.RollbackException: The transaction  has been
rolled back.  See the nested exceptions for details on the  errors that
occurred. Caused by: <openjpa-1.0.0-r420667:568756 nonfatal general error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException: INSERT on
table 'BOOKMARK' caused a violation of foreign key constraint
'BM_FOLDERID_FK' for key (635f6ed4-6dc7-4db6-9787-8e7c5eccfbd9).
The statement has been rolled back. {prepstmnt 3444850 INSERT INTO bookmark
(id, description, feedurl, image, name, priority, url,
 weight, folderid) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) [params=
(String) 006cb728-13ed-4fd3-b7ab-a32cb364dba4, (String) , (null)
 null, (null) null, (String) Matt Raible, (int) 0, (String) http://
 raibledesigns.com/page/rd, (int) 0, (String)
 635f6ed4-6dc7-4db6-9787-8e7c5eccfbd9]} [code=20000, state=23503]
 INSERT on table 'BOOKMARK' caused a violation of foreign key
 constraint 'BM_FOLDERID_FK' for key
 (635f6ed4-6dc7-4db6-9787-8e7c5eccfbd9).  The statement has been
 rolled back. {prepstmnt 3444850 INSERT INTO bookmark (id,
 description, feedurl, image, name, priority, url, weight, folderid)
 VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) [params=(String)
 006cb728-13ed-4fd3-b7ab-a32cb364dba4, (String) , (null) null,
(null) null, (String) Matt Raible, (int) 0, (String) http://
 raibledesigns.com/page/rd, (int) 0, (String)
 635f6ed4-6dc7-4db6-9787-8e7c5eccfbd9]} [code=20000, state=23503]

 Strange, because the same derby-database worked fine with the same
 roller 4.0 and TOMCAT 6.0.14.
Any idee or Help

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
I'll commit this shortly.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 10/23/07, Phillip Rhodes <mi...@cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
> I should also mention that my understanding of this is based on the
> Roller 3.1 code, and may not reflect the new stuff you guys put in
> for dealing with Users / Authorization / etc. in the 4.x stream.

4.0 should be almost identical to 3.1 as far as auth and auth goes.

4.1 is a world apart with totally pluggable user, role and permissions
management, the ability to configure role names and the option to use
CMA and thus Glassfish SSO, Sun Access Manager SSO, OpenSSO etc.
instead of Acegi.

- Dave

Re: Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mi...@cpphacker.co.uk>.
Matt Raible wrote:
> I just committed this class. If you'd like, I can certainly add you as
> an author on this file.

Not a big deal, but sure, if  you feel like it.  :-)

> Also, do you (or Dave) know the implications
> of not populating the user's roles. Looking at the
> AuthoritiesPopulator that Dave added, it looks like this would be
> pretty easy to add.

I'm not a guru on this, so my understanding may be off, but here's my
take: in the case that I setup and described in my original email
about all this, the users roles do get populated by the
jdbcAuthenticationDao.  The only reason I put that empty Populator
in was because one of the other classes expected to be injected with
a Populator and I wasn't sure what would happen if I didn't inject one.
That's why the RollerPopulator I wrote is basically a NOP.

But... and this is where it gets interesting... if someone is
integrating with LDAP, and they want to somehow use role information
from LDAP as opposed to what's in the Roller DB, then they would need
to subclass that Populator (or write a new imlementation altogether)
that would know how to talk to LDAP, get any relevant permission info
and turn it into GrantedAuthority objects and add them to the user object.

I should also mention that my understanding of this is based on the
Roller 3.1 code, and may not reflect the new stuff you guys put in
for dealing with Users / Authorization / etc. in the 4.x stream.

TTYL,

Phil

Re: Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
I just committed this class. If you'd like, I can certainly add you as
an author on this file. Also, do you (or Dave) know the implications

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mi...@cpphacker.co.uk>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mi...@cpphacker.co.uk>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
Everything should be fixed now in Subversion. Do we still need the
resource-refs in web.xml? If I remove them and deploy Roller to
Geronimo - everything works out-of-the-box.

Matt

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
I'm looking at this now.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
On 10/22/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Matt Raible wrote:
>
> > I was able to fix this problem by adding the following line to
> > JPAEMF.properties:
> >
> > openjpa.ConnectionDriverName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
>
> That means that for whatever reason you are not using the connection
> pool provided by geronimo.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm still unable to authenticate against LDAP. Maybe
> > the following JNDI Name is invalid?
> >
> > java:comp/env/jdbc/rollerdb
>
> I don't see how a jdbc datasource could have any effect on use of
> ldap....  more likely your ldap connection properties are not set up
> correctly?

The LDAP setup that Roller users leverages Acegi Security and there's
a populator that references a JNDI DataSource. It seems that
Acegi/LDAP was overlooked when we developed the new easy installer
that looks up the datasource and mail settings from
roller-custom.properties. It also appears that
everything-in-roller-custom.properties doesn't work on strict
containers like Geronimo that require the resource-refs in web.xml to
be configured properly.

I'd like to figure out a solution for this before 4.0 is released, but
I don't know if we'll have time. I don't want to -1 the release since
LDAP and CAS have never been first-class citizens with Roller.
However, now that I've played with them (and found them easy to setup
on Tomcat), I'd like to figure out how to make it just as easy on
other containers.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>.
Matt Raible wrote:
> I was able to fix this problem by adding the following line to
> JPAEMF.properties:
>
> openjpa.ConnectionDriverName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

I think you should put that one in your roller-custom.properties file as
fare as I know you should not need to touch any other properties files
in roller.
> Unfortunately, I'm still unable to authenticate against LDAP. Maybe
> the following JNDI Name is invalid?
>
> java:comp/env/jdbc/rollerdb

I don't know how to correctly set up a LDAP connection but maybe David
can help you with that also by looking at your geronimo-web.xml I
suspect you may need to add a couple of filters. Take a look at the
links David suggested and you may get some more information.
I have been away on holiday for some weeks so I am not really up to date
with the status of the roller plugin so I am not sure the filters are
needed in v2.0.2. I will take a look at the plugin and will hopefully be
able to get back to you about the filters.

Very nice wiki you keep add stuff to it if you find out more. You may
want to take a look at a older out of date one
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC12/apache-roller-on-geronimo-12-ok.html
It may have some more information for you to add.

regards
  Peter Petersson

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Chen <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

On 23/10/2007, Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> wrote:
> I got everything working with Roller default setup. However, I can't
> seem to get security.xml working with LDAP when running on Geronimo.
> I'm able to get same WAR running on Tomcat just fine.

> Here's the error I'm seeing in my logs.
>
>  1405: ERROR 2007-10-22 11:38:09,619 GeronimoLog:error - Problem in
> doStop of default/roller/1193074677430/war?J2EEApplication=null,PersistenceUnitModule=WEB-INF/lib/roller-business.jar,WebModule=default/roller/1193074677430/war,j2eeType=PersistenceUnit,name=RollerPU
> 1406: <openjpa-1.0.0-r420667:568756 fatal user error>
> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: A JDBC Driver or
> DataSource class name must be specified in the ConnectionDriverName

This error only appears when you're shutting down Geronimo. I don't
think it relates to anything that you're doing.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <da...@gmail.com>

Re: Roller 4.0 RC8 on Geronimo 2.0.2

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
Thanks Peter - that worked.

Posted by Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>.
Hi Matt

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Peter Petersson and I got roller pre-4.0 working with geronimo trunk
a while back as geronimo plugins:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/roller/trunk

Unfortunately I ran into some problems when I tried to apply the most
recent set of patches and haven't kept it quite up to date.  The
plugins built in this project won't install into geronimo 2.0.2 but
you should be able to use the plans to deploy a datasource and
roller.  Note this is using jta and non-jta datasources configured in
persistence.xml rather than direct use of connections as typically
set up in the last roller version I looked at.

thanks
david jencks