Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/10/15 21:50:34 UTC

Re: Suggestions for improving translation tool + Suffix '_ADD'

Stefan Högberg wrote:
> I think it might be helpful if some "key terms" would only be
> translated once in OpenOffice.

Pootle has support for terminology. This does not exactly do what you
mean, since it is more a reference. For example: you can put in the
terminology the translation of "Navigator" for reference, but this
wouldn't be automatically replaced across all strings, since several
languages use different forms (cases) for "Open the Navigator..." and
"The Navigator is..."

> Mathematical function names would very much benefit form being
> translated only once, so one assure that the exact same term is used
> everywhere including in the help text.

I believe that in the UI this is already OK. And indeed, this would be a
good use case for some "placeholders" mechanism. I agree it's painful
(since I've done it too!) to have to go back, while translating the
Help, and check how you translate the name of the function you are
documenting.

> "Direct translation"
> I think that it would be very helpful if it would be possibly to
> right click, or combine a click with pushing some control key on the
> keyboard, on a text in OpenOffice and then get a pop-up

It would. In-place editing sounds quite complex to make, but perhaps
there are "good enough" intermediate solutions. For example, assembling
a "fake" language where we use the extended help tips (Tools - Options -
General) to store the English strings there, or the KeyID seems
feasible. You would then hover over the Swedish menu items and see the
English original in a tooltip, and this would already help. The next
step would be to include a Pootle link on each menu item, and here we
would already be hitting some OpenOffice limitations. Going further
would require significant development.

> Also, I think it is important to have a good search function

If you are used to grep and similar command-line utilities, you can
search in the SDF file directly, downloading it from the SVN repository
at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/

> Suffix '_ADD' in OpenOffice Calc function guide ...
> I do not understand the choice of _ADD. It does not seem to have
> anything to do with addition.

Don't know either. This is probably one of those conventions from
ancient times that only a few people can explain...

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Suggestions for improving translation tool + Suffix '_ADD'

Posted by Stefan Högberg <st...@aol.com>.
 Hi,

I have always wondered about the Euroconvert function. It seems redundant. Both function calls convert 100 ATS into EUROs.

EUROCONVERT(100;"ATS";"EUR")
CONVERT(100;"ATS";"EUR")

What is gained by having this specific function EUROCONVERT? It has the same number of arguments (inputs), as CONVERT so it is not simpler to call EUROCONVERT than CONVERT. To me it only add confusion to have the EUROCONVERT function, because it is  only a conversion between two currencies, and I can not see the need of having a special function only because one currency is in Euros.

Oh, maybe this conversion enables use of outdated currencies. Currencies that were used in before they were replaced by the Euro. The rates are maybe fixed then from the time they were replaced by the Euro. But obviously the CONVERT function can convert Austrian Shillings ATS and German Marks DEM, so still EUROCONVERT seems redundant.

/Stefan

Em 15/10/2013 21:06, Regina Henschel escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Andrea Pescetti schrieb:
>> Stefan Högberg wrote:
>
>>> Suffix '_ADD' in OpenOffice Calc function guide ...
>>> I do not understand the choice of _ADD. It does not seem to have
>>> anything to do with addition.
>>
>> Don't know either. This is probably one of those conventions from
>> ancient times that only a few people can explain...
>
> The idea of the suffix _ADD is to use it for an EXCEL compliant
> version of an ODF function, when the EXCEL variant calculates
> different or has a different syntax.

Hi,
So CONVERT_ADD
<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_CONVERT_ADD_function>

would be Excel-CONVERT?
And what about AOO CONVERT
<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_CONVERT_function>
and EUROCONVERT
<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FR/Calc:_fonction_EUROCONVERT>?
Using the Wiki they seem identical but, if I'm not mistaken, we should
use EUROCONVERT
<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FR/Calc:_fonction_EUROCONVERT>.
Regards,
Pedro.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 15 October 2013 21:50, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Stefan Högberg wrote:
>
>> I think it might be helpful if some "key terms" would only be
>> translated once in OpenOffice.
>>

> Pootle has support for terminology. This does not exactly do what you
> mean, since it is more a reference. For example: you can put in the
> terminology the translation of "Navigator" for reference, but this wouldn't
> be automatically replaced across all strings, since several languages use
> different forms (cases) for "Open the Navigator..." and "The Navigator
> is..."
>
>  Mathematical function names would very much benefit form being
>> translated only once, so one assure that the exact same term is used
>> everywhere including in the help text.
>>

> I believe that in the UI this is already OK. And indeed, this would be a
> good use case for some "placeholders" mechanism. I agree it's painful
> (since I've done it too!) to have to go back, while translating the Help,
> and check how you translate the name of the function you are documenting.
>
>  "Direct translation"
>> I think that it would be very helpful if it would be possibly to
>> right click, or combine a click with pushing some control key on the
>> keyboard, on a text in OpenOffice and then get a pop-up
>>

> It would. In-place editing sounds quite complex to make, but perhaps there
> are "good enough" intermediate solutions. For example, assembling a "fake"
> language where we use the extended help tips (Tools - Options - General) to
> store the English strings there, or the KeyID seems feasible. You would
> then hover over the Swedish menu items and see the English original in a
> tooltip, and this would already help. The next step would be to include a
> Pootle link on each menu item, and here we would already be hitting some
> OpenOffice limitations. Going further would require significant development.

I have on experimental basis made KeyID == po id + filename + module, and
build a version that contains da, es, en-US and KeyId. With that I can
switch relative fast between e.g. Da and KeyId. Doing it like that is not
perfect (e.g. tooltip would be a lot better), but the beauty is that its
something we can do without developing new features.

>  Also, I think it is important to have a good search function
>>

> If you are used to grep and similar command-line utilities, you can search
> in the SDF file directly, downloading it from the SVN repository at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/**source/<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/>

May I suggest to use the .po file instead, the SDF files will hopefully not
survive new years eve.

rgds
jan I.