Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/04/06 13:04:35 UTC

Re: Dealing with a server that doesn't always respond with an HTTP response header

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:14 -0400, Jeremy Mayhew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using htmlunit+httpclient to test an embedded web application.
> Unfortunately there is a large set of requests for which this embedded
> webserver does not respond with an HTTP header, but instead splats the body
> without a header.  The httpclient rightly throws a protocol exception out
> on the malformed response.  (Firefox and IE will still render the pages
> without the HTTP response header, so it "works" for the user case.  I can't
> change the embedded web server code.)
>
> I was wondering if there is an easy way to configure httpclient to do best
> effort on the response and assume that the response is OK so that the
> response body can be processed as a valid HTML page.

Not easily. HttpClient assumes at least a certain degree of sanity in
HTTP responses. If your application really needs to handle a complete
garbage, the only way I see is to implement a custom HTTP connection
that can test whether an incoming stream contains a valid HTTP response
or an HTML content, and generate a dummy response in the latter case.
One note though, this is possible with HttpClient 4.0 only. You are out
of luck with HttpClient 3.x

Hope this helps

Oleg