Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/10/07 16:00:06 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_authn_anon.html.en

jerenkrantz@apache.org wrote:

>   Update the docs to fully reflect the aaa changes by linking in the new
>   modules and removing the deleted ones; renaming mod_auth_anon->mod_authn_anon,
>   and mod_access->mod_authz_host.
>
>   All docs to the old modules are now deleted.
>
>   Translations were kept with their old modules.  (Can't read Japanese.)

It has been a tradition in the apache docs to keep "backward
compatibility" within major versions.  This means that anyone using any
version of Apache 2.0 should be able to use the docs from the website.
That is broken by this reorg.

One option would be to add back docs for the old modules (mod_auth,
mod_auth_dbm, etc) with just skeleton contents saying where to look for
the docs.  Another option would be to just abandon the backward
compatibility.

Another thing that is needed here is a brief writeup of the "what has
changed" variety.  This could be added to, or at least linked from, the
"upgrading_to_2_0 doc.  Justin, is there any way you could supply that?

Joshua.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_authn_anon.html.en

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* André Malo wrote:

> * Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>> An obvious solution would be to mark the old modules as
>> <status>obsolete</status> and have the index generation code ignore
>> them.
>
> I'm +1 for something like this since they *are* (a now obsolete) part
> of the 2.0 tree. So we also avoid breaking existing links to the
> resources.

hmm. mod_auth_digest.xml is the name of the old file and of the new one.
(which misses a description of AuthDigestProvider, however)

That would be a problem, I guess.

nd
--
$_=q?tvc!uif)%*|#Bopuifs!A`#~tvc!Xibu)%*|qsjou#Kvtu!A`#~tvc!KBQI!)*|~
tvc!ifmm)%*|#Qfsm!A`#~tvc!jt)%*|(Ibdlfs(~  # What the hell is JAPH? ;

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_authn_anon.html.en

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> Hmm.  Then, how do you handle mappings of the directives?  If we
>> keep the old docs, then we have duplicate directives.  I'd be
>> especially concerned in the directives*.html files.
>
> An obvious solution would be to mark the old modules as
> <status>obsolete</status> and have the index generation code ignore
> them.

I'm +1 for something like this since they *are* (a now obsolete) part of
the 2.0 tree. So we also avoid breaking existing links to the resources.

In 2.1+ trees we can easily drop them.

nd
--
Gefunden auf einer "Webdesigner"-Seite:

# André Malo # http://www.perlig.de/ #

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_authn_anon.html.en

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Hmm.  Then, how do you handle mappings of the directives?  If we
> keep the old docs, then we have duplicate directives.  I'd be
> especially concerned in the directives*.html files.

An obvious solution would be to mark the old modules as
<status>obsolete</status> and have the index generation code ignore them.

> I would prefer we do not handle backwards compatibility.
>
> (Much in the same way, we chose to abandon it in the code.)

I don't have strong opinions about it.

> AFAIK, for the most part, user configurations need not change.  The
> only required change is in the handling of the *Authoritative
> directives.  If the user relies on that, a simple reading of the
> documentation should suffice to resolve that.

OK.  But at least a mention of the module renaming needs to be added to
the upgrading docs.  If you don't get around to it, I'm sure someone
else will eventually.

> I could be wrong in that the change requires more user intervention,
> but my current understanding is that it doesn't.  It really needs
> feedback and review by others - I committed what I could because
> OtherBill was rambling about vetoing the code because I didn't update
> the docs.  -- justin

No problem here.  Just working on getting loose ends tied up.

Joshua.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/mod mod_authn_anon.html.en

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.