Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by pi...@comcast.net on 2005/08/10 21:41:55 UTC

encodingStyle attribute location

I am using Axis 1.2.1, for rpc/encoded, as a Java client talking to a Siebel SOAP service over JMS.

Siebel insists that the encodingStyle attribute be in the soap Body or soap Envelope elements.  W3C SOAP standards state that the attribute can be in any element in the message, but I did find that WS-I standards say it must be in the soap Body (not that the rest of their service is WS-I compliant, but vendors aren't always logical...)

Axis is generating the encodingStyle attribute into the first element inside the soap Body, which causes Siebel to reject the xml.

I tried some JIRA and mailing list archive searches, and wasn't able to turn up any discussions that seemed relevant.  Is there a way to change this behavior without modifying Axis code?

Thanks,

Meghan Pietila
Granite Consulting

Re: encodingStyle attribute location

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
The folks from Seibel are smokin' something.

The SOAP spec says:

"The SOAP encodingStyle global attribute can be used to indicate the
serialization rules used in a SOAP message. This attribute MAY appear
on any element, and is scoped to that element's contents and all child
elements not themselves containing such an attribute, much as an XML
namespace declaration is scoped. There is no default encoding defined
for a SOAP message."

The WS-I BP says:

"R1005   An ENVELOPE MUST NOT contain soap:encodingStyle attributes on
any of the elements whose namespace name is
"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"."

Therefore the WS-I BP says that it must NOT be in the SOAP Body or
SOAP Envelope elements.

Of course, it also says:

"R1006   An ENVELOPE MUST NOT contain soap:encodingStyle  attributes
on any element that is a child of soap:Body."

RPC/encoded is always disallowed by WS-I BP. I suspect that Seibel's
SOAP engine is just remarkably inadequate, so they're making
unreasonable demands.

Anne