Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2012/03/05 23:08:34 UTC

WebSite publishing process updated.....

Those of you following the commits list may have noticed a bunch of commits
this afternoon to the web stuff.   A while ago, infrastructure has sent out  a
note saying that by the end of 2012, all projects had to move off of the rsync
based publishing and onto an svnpubsub based approach.    As of 1/2 hour ago,
we are now switched to svnpubsub for our site.

For the normal "day to day" things of updating the site in confluence, nothing
really changes.   You update things like normal.   Once an hour, a buildbot
process runs and builds the changes and commits them to svn.   The changes go
"live" within seconds of the buildbot commit, so much less waiting.  (It's now
at most one hour till the next buildbot build).   ( I need to check with Joe
to see if there is a "build now" type button or API)

However, any CXF committer can checkout the two svn locations, run the
command, and commit the changes themselves to chop that hour down to seconds
if we need to push something immediately.     I've added some info about that
in:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/web/README

For non-day-to-day things, you may need to checkout the "live" content
directory at:

https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/cxf/content

and work on the stuff there.   That would include adding javadocs or schemas,
updating the .htaccess, adding/changing the stylesheet or images, etc....
Again, once you commit there, it's live in seconds so turnaround is quick.
(You may want to use the svn --depth  flag on the checkout to set it to 1 or 2
to avoid all the javadocs.)

The other thing that may be done periodically is to update the template.
That is still in the web/template directory.  If you change that, you should
likely delete the content/cache/* stuff which will force a complete rebuild of
the entire site.

--
Daniel Kulp