Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Patrice Thiebaud <pa...@bea.com> on 2002/08/30 15:34:50 UTC

Re: Deployment of an application on multiple instances running on the same machine

Thanks, but I didn't anything about this possibility in the documentation.
Could anyone please tell how it can be configured ?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
You can refer to dynamic variables in your config file after having set
them dynamically by your initialization code...

<appender name="A2" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
         <param name="File" value="${Barracuda.log.home}/main.log" />
         <param name="Append" value="false" />
             <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x -
%m%n"/>
         </layout>
</appender>

I run log4j initialization at application startup in a servlet's init()
method and create a system variable which is available to the entire
JVM.  Because of this, I make it unique.  I just prepend the name of the
application running (in this case "Barracuda") and append ".log.home" and
then I just refer to that variable in the config file.  The naming is
consistent enough that I can predict the variable.  The method I use is
taking the name of the
context.getAttribute("javax.servlet.context.tempdir") directory created for
the application by the servlet container to do work specific to that
app.  To be honest, I've only tried this in Tomcat, but there are others
who use this on other systems and I haven't heard of any issues from them.

Jake