Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2008/05/01 22:35:22 UTC

Re: Support for Active Directory???

jazzhazze wrote:
> I've found the HTML-source of the error page that occurs when I try to add a
> LDAP-user. It looks like this:
>
> stacktracejava.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:396)
> 	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.bind(LDAPUser.java:359)
> 	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.getDirectoryEntry(LDAPUser.java:434)
> 	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.existsUser(LDAPUser.java:146)
> 	at org.apache.lenya.cms.ac.usecases.AddUser.validate(AddUser.java:75)
> 	at
> org.apache.lenya.cms.ac.usecases.AddUser.doCheckExecutionConditions(AddUser.java:96)
> 	at

Somehow the principal being passed in is null. You probably haven't set
the mgr-dn property in the ldap config file.

Richard

Re: Support for Active Directory???

Posted by jazzhazze <ha...@glocalnet.net>.
Thanks!

BTW, are there any "easy" ways (preferable ready-made recipes ) to include a
NTLM filter in Lenya to receive the user id, thus passing it on to
Shibboleth (for example) for verification against LDAP? A custom
authenticator in other words?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
jazzhazze schrieb:
> Ok!
> I have to admit that I'm not so very familiar with the Eclipse debugger. How
> does it work?

I have added a little how-to to the documentation:

https://lenya.zones.apache.org/cms/docu/live/docu20/tutorials/setupide.html

-- Andreas

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> jazzhazze schrieb:
>>> Ok!
>>> But then maybe the delegation doesn't work properly, i.e Lenya can't
>>> verify
>>> against LDAP that the password an user enter is correct.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to verify that the delegation procedures work fine?
>> Have you tried to debug the authentication? You could step through the
>> method in the Eclipse debugger, this will certainly help - at least if
>> the problem is on the client side.
>>
>> -- Andreas
>>

>>> By the way, I will start another thread about Kupu, because it is very
>>> frustrating...

>> --
>> Andreas Hartmann, CTO
>> BeCompany GmbH
>> http://www.becompany.ch
>> Tel.: +41 (0) 43 818 57 01

Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH
http://www.becompany.ch
Tel.: +41 (0) 43 818 57 01

Re: Support for Active Directory???

Posted by jazzhazze <ha...@glocalnet.net>.
Ok!

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
jazzhazze schrieb:
> Ok!
> But then maybe the delegation doesn't work properly, i.e Lenya can't verify
> against LDAP that the password an user enter is correct.
>
> Is there any way to verify that the delegation procedures work fine?

Have you tried to debug the authentication? You could step through the
method in the Eclipse debugger, this will certainly help - at least if
the problem is on the client side.

-- Andreas

> By the way, I will start another thread about Kupu, because it is very
> frustrating...
>

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> jazzhazze schrieb:
>>> That really helped! Thank you!
>>> Now it works to import users from AD. The only thing is that is seems
>>> like
>>> the AD passwords aren't imported along with the users? Thus it isn't
>>> possible for the users to log in to Lenya using their AD passwords.
>> AFAIK the passwords aren't imported, but the authentication is delegated
>> to the LDAP server. I don't know if this information helps you, though.
>>
>> -- Andreas

>> --
>> Andreas Hartmann, CTO
>> BeCompany GmbH
>> http://www.becompany.ch
>> Tel.: +41 (0) 43 818 57 01

Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH
http://www.becompany.ch
Tel.: +41 (0) 43 818 57 01

Re: Support for Active Directory???

Posted by jazzhazze <ha...@glocalnet.net>.
Ok!

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
jazzhazze schrieb:
> That really helped! Thank you!
> Now it works to import users from AD. The only thing is that is seems like
> the AD passwords aren't imported along with the users? Thus it isn't
> possible for the users to log in to Lenya using their AD passwords.

AFAIK the passwords aren't imported, but the authentication is delegated
to the LDAP server. I don't know if this information helps you, though.

-- Andreas

> Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> jazzhazze wrote:
>>> I've found the HTML-source of the error page that occurs when I try to
>>> add a
>>> LDAP-user. It looks like this:
>>>
>>> stacktracejava.lang.NullPointerException
>>> 	at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:396)
>>> 	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.bind(LDAPUser.java:359)
>>> 	at
>>> org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.getDirectoryEntry(LDAPUser.java:434)
>>> 	at org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser.existsUser(LDAPUser.java:146)
>>> 	at org.apache.lenya.cms.ac.usecases.AddUser.validate(AddUser.java:75)
>>> 	at
>>> org.apache.lenya.cms.ac.usecases.AddUser.doCheckExecutionConditions(AddUser.java:96)
>>> 	at
>>>
>> Somehow the principal being passed in is null. You probably haven't set
>> the mgr-dn property in the ldap config file.
>>
>> Richard

Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH
http://www.becompany.ch
Tel.: +41 (0) 43 818 57 01

Re: Support for Active Directory???

Posted by jazzhazze <ha...@glocalnet.net>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
jazzhazze schrieb:
> Maybe I should explain the purposes of my site to give a better understanding
> of the problems I'm facing.
>
> I'm building a new site for a department of our enterprise. All the
> enterprise's computers/users are connected to an intranet. My site should be
> accessible for all users who are connected to the intranet, except for
> certain pages. Those pages should be restricted to the users belonging to
> this specific department only. All users are stored in AD and the idea is
> that you should only need to login once, and that is when you logon to the
> intranet. The present outdated site, based on Java too, uses a
> LDAP-connection to verify if an user belongs to this department, thus
> granting or denying access to some of the pages.
>
> My idea was to build the site using Lenya and then importing all the users
> that are allowed to visit certain pages and create a specific group for
> them. As the site is only accessible from inside of the intranet I guess all
> users on the intranet belong to the "world" visitor group in Lenya.
>
> The point is that no visitor of the website, even the "special visitors"
> should have to login manually to the site (of course the admin, reviewer,
> site manager etc should log in).

IIUC you want single sign-on for certain users. This is not possible out
of the box, but can be achieved by implementing a custom authenticator.
There's a branch of 1.2 in SVN which supports SSO via Shibboleth. You
could try to use it as a starting point for implementing SSO for the
infrastructure of your enterprise.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Support for Active Directory???

Posted by jazzhazze <ha...@glocalnet.net>.
[...]

site manager etc should log in). When a visitor should want to visit one of
the restricted pages, an automatic connection should be made to the AD,
verifying if the visitor should be granted access or not (just like it works
now with the present site).

I wonder if this is possible at all with Lenya??