Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscopecloud.com> on 2023/02/10 02:59:27 UTC

guacd 1.4 backwards client compatibility

Just a general question,

We have a (now fairly old) application using guacamole 1.0.0. We had written a custom frontend for Vaadin 8 using the Guacamole common javascript client and it's been working well enough that it hasn't been kept up to date with the latest Guacamole version. I'd like the thank the Guacamole developers and community for the excellent product!
Anyway, there were some issues with keyboard mappings, specifically the CAPS LOCK key not working, that seemed to have been fixed already. I did a quick test of just upgrading the guacd proxy to the 1.4 version. Apart from some minor configuration changes like forcing the security mode to accommodate our old RDP server, it seems to be working fine with our old client frontend and the keyboard mapping issues are now solved!
My question is whether using the old client with the new proxy will bring some issues due to incompatibilities in the guacamole protocol between client and proxy. So far I haven't found any. Or if the protocol itself has been stable from 1.0 to 1.4?

Thanks for any information about this, it will help us plan our migration strategy.

Carlos

Re: guacd 1.4 backwards client compatibility

Posted by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscopecloud.com>.
Thanks Mike, I should have read the release notes before asking. However, your response is very helpful.  We, of course, have to upgrade all the pieces eventually but I was wondering how much of a risk was to delay the frontend migration.
Thanks,
Carlos

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.