Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Clément Maignien <c....@edic-syliance.com> on 2005/08/12 09:54:29 UTC

s:inputSuggest problem

Hi,
I'm trying to use the s:inputSuggest sandbox component but with no result.
Here is the very simple example I wrote :
<s:inputSuggest id="libarticle">
     <f:selectItem itemValue="Art1" itemLabel="Article 1"/>
     <f:selectItem itemValue="Art11" itemLabel="Article 11"/>
     <f:selectItem itemValue="Art12" itemLabel="Article 12"/>
     <f:selectItem itemValue="Art2" itemLabel="Article 2"/>
     <f:selectItem itemValue="Art21" itemLabel="Article 21"/>
     <f:selectItem itemValue="Art22" itemLabel="Article 22"/>
</s:inputSuggest>

According to the sandbox examples, the s:inputSuggest must be filled with f:selectItem components (or a f:selectItems). So I'll try it that way, without any value or attribute binding. However it doesn't work well, here is the error stack I get :
09:49:20,627 ERROR [[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
 at org.apache.myfaces.custom.suggest.InputSuggestRenderer.encodeSuggestions(InputSuggestRenderer.java:147)
 at org.apache.myfaces.custom.suggest.InputSuggestRenderer.encodeBegin(InputSuggestRenderer.java:112)
 at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.encodeBegin(UIComponentBase.java:303)
 at javax.faces.component.UIInput.encodeBegin(UIInput.java:198)

Moreover, according to the javadoc, it looks like it is impossible to bind this component to a bean attribute as there isn't any component class (just the tag and the renderer).

By the way, is there somewhere we could have the java source code of the tomahawk and sandbox examples (there was a myfaces-examples-src.jar for the 1.0.9 release) ?

Another question : how to know the datatype of the value or the binding, a component is waiting for ? In javadoc ? where ?

Thank you all
Clément.

Re: s:inputSuggest problem

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the s:inputSuggest sandbox component but with no result.
> Here is the very simple example I wrote :
> <s:inputSuggest id="libarticle">
>      <f:selectItem itemValue="Art1" itemLabel="Article 1"/>
>      <f:selectItem itemValue="Art11" itemLabel="Article 11"/>
>      <f:selectItem itemValue="Art12" itemLabel="Article 12"/>
>      <f:selectItem itemValue="Art2" itemLabel="Article 2"/>
>      <f:selectItem itemValue="Art21" itemLabel="Article 21"/>
>      <f:selectItem itemValue="Art22" itemLabel="Article 22"/>
> </s:inputSuggest>
>
> According to the sandbox examples, the s:inputSuggest must be filled with
> f:selectItem components (or a f:selectItems). So I'll try it that way,
> without any value or attribute binding. However it doesn't work well, here
> is the error stack I get :
> 09:49:20,627 ERROR [[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at
> org.apache.myfaces.custom.suggest.InputSuggestRenderer.encodeSuggestions(InputSuggestRenderer.java:147)
>  at
> org.apache.myfaces.custom.suggest.InputSuggestRenderer.encodeBegin(InputSuggestRenderer.java:112)
>  at
> javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.encodeBegin(UIComponentBase.java:303)
>  at
> javax.faces.component.UIInput.encodeBegin(UIInput.java:198)

> Moreover, according to the javadoc, it looks like it is impossible to bind
> this component to a bean attribute as there isn't any component class (just
> the tag and the renderer).

Its been a while since I've looked at this one.  I'm on vacation for a
few days but I will look into it when I get back.  Perhaps Matt can
help you out if he's around.

> By the way, is there somewhere we could have the java source code of the
> tomahawk and sandbox examples (there was a myfaces-examples-src.jar for the
> 1.0.9 release) ?

Apparently this was missing after the svn reorg.  Thanks for the heads
up - I've added a JIRA issue on this
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-411).

In the meantime, you can always use subversion checkout ;-)

> Another question : how to know the datatype of the value or the binding, a
> component is waiting for ? In javadoc ? where ?

Again I will look into this when I get back.

> Thank you all
> Clément.

sean