Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/19 14:39:02 UTC

[classlib] [build] Precompiled libraries (was: awt and swing integration issues)

2006/6/19, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>:
> 2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
> > a) It will break everyone build unless they have all the dependencies
> > (libjpeg, libpng, and liblcms) in the right place.  I want to give
> > people time to discuss how to handle this.  On linux, these packages
> > are very common so we really should use the installed dynamic libraries
> > if possible.  Using liblcms and libjpeg should be easy since they both
> > use "pkg-config" (as in "pkg-config --cflags lcms" and "pkg-config
> > --libs lcms") if their development packages are installed.  We'll need
> > collect details of the required packages for different distributions.
> > Debian packages are liblcms1-dev, libjpeg-dev (virtual package) and
> > libpng12-dev.  Anyone fill in the gaps for other distributions?
> >
> > Not sure what to do on windows. libjpeg and libpng seem to be available
> > in the MinGW Package repository at:
> >
> >  http://mingwrep.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Anyone tried using these to meet the requirements on Windows?
> I've compared libraries available through MinGW with AWT requirements...
> The only library which meets the requirements is libjpeg.
> libpng is too old.
> lcms is not available.
>
> So we should try to find another place to get the libraries or... add
> this libraries to MinGW :)

Guys,

in general...
Is it possible to precompile needed libraries and put it somewhere on
the Harmony's website? Do download them through depends.xml...

As a workaround we can download source archives from the original
sites of the libraries and then build them from the Harmony build
script.

SY, Alexey

--
Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib] [build] Precompiled libraries (was: awt and swing integration issues)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2006/6/20, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
>> We don't want to do that, distribute third party code that we build.
> But as far as I understand we will do that... HDK will include this
> libraries. Isn't it?

We will include third party libraries that are build and released by a
third party, yes.  Therefore, there is no need to host that stuff.

geir

Re: [classlib] [build] Precompiled libraries (was: awt and swing integration issues)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2006/6/19, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>:
>> 2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
>> > a) It will break everyone build unless they have all the dependencies
>> > (libjpeg, libpng, and liblcms) in the right place.  I want to give
>> > people time to discuss how to handle this.  On linux, these packages
>> > are very common so we really should use the installed dynamic libraries
>> > if possible.  Using liblcms and libjpeg should be easy since they both
>> > use "pkg-config" (as in "pkg-config --cflags lcms" and "pkg-config
>> > --libs lcms") if their development packages are installed.  We'll need
>> > collect details of the required packages for different distributions.
>> > Debian packages are liblcms1-dev, libjpeg-dev (virtual package) and
>> > libpng12-dev.  Anyone fill in the gaps for other distributions?
>> >
>> > Not sure what to do on windows. libjpeg and libpng seem to be available
>> > in the MinGW Package repository at:
>> >
>> >  http://mingwrep.sourceforge.net/
>> >
>> > Anyone tried using these to meet the requirements on Windows?
>> I've compared libraries available through MinGW with AWT requirements...
>> The only library which meets the requirements is libjpeg.
>> libpng is too old.
>> lcms is not available.
>>
>> So we should try to find another place to get the libraries or... add
>> this libraries to MinGW :)
>
> Guys,
>
> in general...
> Is it possible to precompile needed libraries and put it somewhere on
> the Harmony's website? Do download them through depends.xml...

We don't want to do that, distribute third party code that we build.

> As a workaround we can download source archives from the original
> sites of the libraries and then build them from the Harmony build
> script.

Right.  Or a dependency area somewhere to make it regularized in form -
share the scripts to do that thing.

Or just give people a pointer, and instructions on how to do it, and let
them set a property as to where our bulids can find the artifacts...

geir