Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2007/01/25 14:49:38 UTC

Re: 2 types of rsync users?

Doc Schneider writes:
> Justin Mason wrote:
> > Just thinking -- why don't we just go for one?  Is there a reason
> > we need to keep track of two sets of users?  It strikes me
> > that we're just making more work (creating accounts every time)
> > where it could be simpler.
> >
> > --j.
>
> There you go thinking again! "Be afraid. be very very afraid" HAR!
>
> We have two types of rsync users? One is nightly masscheckers and the
> other is re-scoring masscheckers? Or am I way off here?
>
> I've only got one rsync account and had asked you and you did say it
> would work for the upcoming re-scoring.

yeah, I thought it did, but then Theo pointed me at something on the wiki
that makes me think otherwise now ;)  So now I'm wondering why that is.

Anyway, there's no hurry -- between today, and results-submitting
deadline, there's about 2 weeks-ish.

--j.

Re: 2 types of rsync users?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 09:29:02AM -0600, Doc Schneider wrote:
> I read through the masses README's and it looked to me like one account
> was all that was needed. But, of course, I could be mistaken.

In the past there's been 2, though most people wouldn't know the difference.
Generally if people ask for a nightly account, they go in one file.  For score
generation runs, that file is copied to the other file, and then anyone else
who asks for a score generation account gets added.  Thereby keeping the two
types of accounts seperate.

In thinking about it a bit, I guess it doesn't really matter in the end,
though keeping the two rsync areas separate would be good -- ie submit versus
nightly, so that it's easier to keep track of what the results are.

So a couple of things:

1) Sure, after this run we'll switch to using a single accounts file.
2) I'd actually like to clean out the accounts file.  There are a lot of
   people listed who we have never heard from or heard from in a while.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"it's so easy! you click, you kill, you loot!"

Re: 2 types of rsync users?

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.
Justin Mason wrote:
> Doc Schneider writes:
>> Justin Mason wrote:
>>> Just thinking -- why don't we just go for one?  Is there a reason
>>> we need to keep track of two sets of users?  It strikes me
>>> that we're just making more work (creating accounts every time)
>>> where it could be simpler.
>>>
>>> --j.
>> There you go thinking again! "Be afraid. be very very afraid" HAR!
>>
>> We have two types of rsync users? One is nightly masscheckers and the
>> other is re-scoring masscheckers? Or am I way off here?
>>
>> I've only got one rsync account and had asked you and you did say it
>> would work for the upcoming re-scoring.
>
> yeah, I thought it did, but then Theo pointed me at something on the wiki
> that makes me think otherwise now ;)  So now I'm wondering why that is.
>
> Anyway, there's no hurry -- between today, and results-submitting
> deadline, there's about 2 weeks-ish.
>
> --j.

What was it on the wiki which made you think one rsync account wouldn't
work? (If this is what your concern is) Send the url to it if you would,
please.

I read through the masses README's and it looked to me like one account
was all that was needed. But, of course, I could be mistaken.

Also any particular time for the start of the masschecks?
--

  -Doc

  SA/SARE/URIBL/SURBL -- Ninja
    9:20am  up 11 days, 18:18, 15 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.60, 0.81

  SARE HQ  http://www.rulesemporium.com/