Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Giuseppe Scelsi <gi...@analog.com> on 2006/09/13 06:55:04 UTC

Hi all,

I have just found that notification messages sent by
"/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer/mailer.py" do not have any feature
that lets an out-of-office responder realize they are not to be replied
to.  So I added a "Precedence: bulk" header in my copy of mailer.py and
that solved the problem for me (I am using "vacation" under Solaris.)

Before submitting this as a bug report/feature request I wanted to check
if this is the best way to fix this problem.  Any comment?

Cheers,

Giuseppe

Re: "Precedence: bulk" header in mailer.py

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.
"Justin Erenkrantz" <ju...@erenkrantz.com> writes:
> For example, I'm telling it to send the commit as me and it's
> configured to send the commit emails to myself and a bunch of
> colleagues.  One of those colleagues (call him John) is on vacation
> and set up vacation.  Now, if 'vacation' has already informed me that
> John is away, it won't notify me again.  However, if 'vacation' hasn't
> done that yet, it'll send me an email that John is gone.  That's good.
> I now know that John won't be reviewing my commit.  This is ideal for
> small groups which don't justify the overhead of a mailing list.
>
> Now, if you really want bulk precedence, you should just set up a list
> and point the mailer at it - most list managers will add the
> precedence header by default.  But, if you send it to a bunch of
> people directly (sans list), the intention (to me) is that you want to
> know if they won't read that commit message.  In either of those
> 'normal' cases, mailer shouldn't add the header.  Note that some
> mailing lists are configured to reject emails if the Precedence: Bulk
> header is already set in an attempt to limit spam - so doing so might
> cause those commits to be rejected.  -- justin

*nod* I'll buy that.  And the second paragraph describes a better
solution than setting this as a default in mailer.py.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up,
-K

Re: "Precedence: bulk" header in mailer.py

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 9/18/06, Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com> wrote:
> Hmm.  Is there some other header that has a more targeted meaning?
> Bulk precedence may have other implications, so if there's a flag that
> just means "no need to auto-reply to this", that would be better.  I'm
> not a mail expert, so I don't know if such a flag exists.

Yes, 'Precedence: Bulk' is the de facto standard for this.  The SVN
lists all set that flag.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=vacation&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

You can also play games with the sender address to trick vacation into
not replying to it.  (That might actually be easier in some cases.)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Nik Clayton <ni...@ngo.org.uk>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Giuseppe Scelsi <gi...@analog.com> writes:
>> I have just found that notification messages sent by
>> "/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer/mailer.py" do not have any feature
>> that lets an out-of-office responder realize they are not to be replied
>> to.  So I added a "Precedence: bulk" header in my copy of mailer.py and
>> that solved the problem for me (I am using "vacation" under Solaris.)
>>
>> Before submitting this as a bug report/feature request I wanted to check
>> if this is the best way to fix this problem.  Any comment?
>
> Hmm.  Is there some other header that has a more targeted meaning?
> Bulk precedence may have other implications, so if there's a flag that
> just means "no need to auto-reply to this", that would be better.  I'm
> not a mail expert, so I don't know if such a flag exists.
>
> I've CC'd the dev@ list because this is now a development question
> about mailer.py.

No, 'bulk' is the right one to use in this case.  For example, mail from
this list comes with "Precedence: bulk" set so that vacation programs
don't automatically generate replies.

Re: "Precedence: bulk" header in mailer.py

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.
Giuseppe Scelsi <gi...@analog.com> writes:
> I have just found that notification messages sent by
> "/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer/mailer.py" do not have any feature
> that lets an out-of-office responder realize they are not to be replied
> to.  So I added a "Precedence: bulk" header in my copy of mailer.py and
> that solved the problem for me (I am using "vacation" under Solaris.)
>
> Before submitting this as a bug report/feature request I wanted to check
> if this is the best way to fix this problem.  Any comment?

Hmm.  Is there some other header that has a more targeted meaning?
Bulk precedence may have other implications, so if there's a flag that
just means "no need to auto-reply to this", that would be better.  I'm
not a mail expert, so I don't know if such a flag exists.

I've CC'd the dev@ list because this is now a development question
about mailer.py.

-Karl

Re: "Precedence: bulk" header in mailer.py

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.