Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2015/07/28 18:25:16 UTC

Binary relese....

Gang,
sorry that I didnät check this earlier, and I vaguely recall that it has
been discussed before....

Should the binary release (and the output of the build of the source
release) contain (or not) the exact dependencies used to build the system??

One side of me says; Yes, because that is hard to hunting for if you are
not a Maven addict.
And the other says; No, that becomes a too large download, and you still
don't necesarily get it right since you don't know which jar is needed for
which library.

Comments?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Binary relese....

Posted by Paul Merlin <pa...@nosphere.org>.
Hey Niclas,

Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> Should the binary release (and the output of the build of the source
> release) contain (or not) the exact dependencies used to build the system??
>
> One side of me says; Yes, because that is hard to hunting for if you are
> not a Maven addict.
> And the other says; No, that becomes a too large download, and you still
> don't necesarily get it right since you don't know which jar is needed for
> which library.
>
> Comments?
I don't use binary distributions, only artifacts built locally, from an
in-house proxy or from the interwebs, so the 'maven-repository' way of it.

I lean towards smaller downloads but have no strong opinion. What
download scripts do can be done at build time.

The first use case of the -bin dist should be a quick environment setup.

Actual download scripts don't help very much. On one hand, the
dependency information is spread in the -runtime-deps.txt files from the
libs/ dir and, on the other, the actual dependencies sit flat in the
dependencies/ dir.

You almost said it, using this from build systems and IDEs must be a pita :)

For direct usage, picking up jars, the issue could be solved by some
documentation generation. Like a dependency report with
core/libs/exts/tools, or something else?

For tools that supports maven-repositories we could bundle a repository
with the zest artifacts, and another one with all dependencies either
bundled or downloaded. Setup is then pretty easy for a lot of build
systems. But then the picking jars story gets complicated by the tree
layout.

/Paul

Re: Binary relese....

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Thanks for the pointer, Marcel... I think that is a useful compromise.

So, I think we plan that for 3.0 or so, and go with the current "no-deps"
approach.

Re: Binary relese....