Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by NoahJ32 <no...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/03 22:26:12 UTC

Subversion+Apache mod_dav_svn/mod_authz_svn Issues

Okay, I've scoured the internet with topics related to this subject. For
those unfamiliar, I have installed Apache 2.2.8 and have downloaded and
installed SVN 1.5.1 with the 2.2.x Apache bindings and when I try to
run(start) Apache with the following load lines:

LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module modules/mod_authz_svn.so

I get the response:

httpd: Syntax error on line 129 of C:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load C:/Program
Files/Subversion/bin/mod_dav_svn.so into server: The specified procedure
could not be found.

The files are located in the modules directory.

I've tried the following with no change in success:

Adding pathToApache/bin and pathToSVN/bin to the Path environmental variable
Copying libdb*.dll and intl3_svn.dll directly into the apache /bin directory
Running Dependency Walker, all DLLs are found only MSJAVA.DLL is missing
Reinstalling Subversion and restarting the machine
Modifying the Apache 2.2 service to Log On as my own user account with admin
privileges

I'm just about out of ideas, and every thread I come across does not have
information past these steps, everybody seems to have solved it by then.

Now here's the kicker. I have Apache 2.2.8 with Subversion 1.5.1 up and
working fine, loading the modules fine on my other machine. I've even copied
the exact module files from that machine onto this one. Everything seems to
be constant, right down to the results of the Dependency Walker (only
MSJAVA.DLL is not found on both machines, which isn't a hard dependency).
Also, the machine that it is working on, when viewing the Apache Service
Monitor, has information in the bottom bar. It reads: Apache [version] SVN
[version] and PHP [version]. However, on the machine I'm trying to get it
working on, the SVN line is not showing up, it simply shows Apache and PHP
but not SVN, I've tried reinstalling Subversion too, no dice. This might be
the best lead to go on in troubleshooting my issue, I guess. Or perhaps I
got lucky or Apache 2.2.8 and SVN 1.5.1 are not compatible, in which case
which versions should I use?

Thanks in advance,
Noah

RE: Subversion+Apache mod_dav_svn/mod_authz_svn Issues

Posted by Chris Struble <su...@onstance.com>.
btw,

apache/bin/
 + libdb4*.dll
 + intl3_svn.dll
 + libeay32.dll
 + ssleay32.dll

RE: Subversion+Apache mod_dav_svn/mod_authz_svn Issues

Posted by Chris Struble <su...@onstance.com>.
nevermind... woops...

Following the FAQ on this subject, I used Dependency Checker to find that my system wasn't finding the svn dlls because...drumroll...I had not rebooted.

::blushing::

RE: Subversion+Apache mod_dav_svn/mod_authz_svn Issues

Posted by Chris Struble <su...@onstance.com>.
I'm having the same error, apparently from a different cause...

After following the svn install instructions, Apache can't start, choking on mod_dav_svn.so and mod_authz_svn.so.  (If I comment both these lines, apache starts ok.)

Apache error log message:
httpd.exe: Syntax error on line 115 of C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into server: The specified module could not be found.

httpd.conf:
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module modules/mod_authz_svn.so

Apache version 2.2.11
svn version 1.6.3, installed via msi installer.  (I also tried grabbing the .so files from the zip, but that didn't help)

Yes, the .so files are in the /modules/ directory.

Any help immensely appreciated!!

Re: Subversion+Apache mod_dav_svn/mod_authz_svn Issues

Posted by NoahJ32 <no...@gmail.com>.
Andrey Repin-3 wrote:

> [...]
>
> ## SSPI authorization and authentification module
> ## Quite handy, if you do not want to maintain billions of different user
> ## rosters on your windows host... One domain registry more than enough
> LoadModule sspi_auth_module modules/mod_auth_sspi.so
>
> ## SVN DAV implementation. True solution to all your versioning needs
> LoadModule dav_svn_module C:/usr/sbin/svn-1.5/bin/mod_dav_svn.so
> LoadModule authz_svn_module C:/usr/sbin/svn-1.5/bin/mod_authz_svn.so
>
> <IfModule dav_svn_module>
>     LogFormat "%{%Y-%m-%dT%T}t  svn:%{SVN-REPOS-NAME}e  %u@%h   %>s
> %{SVN-ACTION}e" svn
> </IfModule>
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>     ServerName svn....
>     ServerAlias svn.rootdir.org
>
>     DocumentRoot "C:/home/svn"
>     AddDefaultCharset utf-8
>
>     ErrorLog "C:/home/svn/.log/error_log"
>     CustomLog "C:/home/svn/.log/access_log" common env=!SVN-ACTION
>     CustomLog "C:/home/svn/.log/svn_access_log" svn env=SVN-ACTION
>
> # Purely optional, but highly recommended section.
>     <IfModule rewrite_module>
>         RewriteLog "C:/home/svn/.log/rewrite_log"
>         RewriteLogLevel 0
>
>         RewriteEngine On
>
>         # Banish any dot-files in the root. Plain and simple.
>         RewriteRule "^/\..*" - [forbidden,last]
>
>         # Fix SVN buggy behavior on the repository root
>         RewriteCond "%{REQUEST_METHOD}" !"^(GET|POST|HEAD)$"
>         RewriteCond "%{REQUEST_FILENAME}" "^/([^/\.]+)$"
>         RewriteCond "C:/home/svn/%1" -d
>         RewriteRule "^/([^/\.]+)$" "/$1/" [passthrough]
>
>         # Redirect any browsing attempts on the root to real website
>         RewriteCond "%{REQUEST_METHOD}" "^(GET|POST|HEAD)$"
>         RewriteCond "%{IS_SUBREQ}" "false"
>         RewriteRule "^/(index\..*)?$" "http://www.rootdir.org/svn/$1"
> [nosubreq,redirect=permanent,qsappend,last]
>
>         # "Go away" for nonexistent repos.
>         RewriteCond "%{REQUEST_METHOD}" "^(GET|POST|HEAD)$"
>         RewriteCond "%{IS_SUBREQ}" "false"
>         RewriteCond "%{REQUEST_FILENAME}" "^/([^/\.]+)(?:/.*)?$"
>         RewriteCond "C:/home/svn/%1" !-d
>         RewriteRule ".*" - [nosubreq,redirect=404,last]
>     </IfModule>
>
>     <Location "/">
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from 192.168.1.10
>
>         <IfModule dav_svn_module>
>             DAV svn
>             SVNParentPath "C:/home/svn"
>         </IfModule>
>
>         <IfModule sspi_auth_module>
>             Allow from all
>
>             AuthName "Subversion repository"
>             AuthType SSPI
>             SSPIAuth On
>             SSPIAuthoritative On
>             SSPIOfferBasic On
>             SSPIOmitDomain On
>             SSPIUsernameCase lower
>             SSPIBasicPreferred On
>
>             # only developers may access the repository
>             Require group "..."
>
>             # And they should obey to SVN user permissions file
>             <IfModule authz_svn_module>
>                 AuthzSVNAccessFile "C:/home/svn/.registry"

Hopefully this isn't top-posting, not familiar with this format for
communication, sorry about that.

I installed Apache 2.2.11 (2.2.12 links all seem to be broken or redirect to
2.2.11) and Subversion 1.6.3 and it worked flawlessly. The configuration
file loaded great and everything seems to be going well. I guess I'll just
update the documentation and push us into 2009 with this software. Thanks so
much.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, NoahJ32!

Posted by NoahJ32 <no...@gmail.com>.
I appreciate your quick reply, and your English is great, if it isn't your
first language I didn't even notice until your last line :D

I was using Apache 2.2.8 and SVN 1.5.1 because I'm working with old code
that is simply being developed and maintained. I was mostly just trying to
avoid having to update to newer versions to avoid incompatibility which may
result, but I assume SVN 1.6 and Apache 2.2.12+ are backwards comptible with
anything that was developed for them? Such as mod_python? websvn? I don't
want to have to redesign my entire project to work with them.

I will try to update to newer versions tomorrow but what really bothered me
and brought me to posting for help was that it's working fine on my work
machine but not on the one I'm trying to install it on. It's more a question

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, NoahJ32!