Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2018/09/14 21:26:56 UTC

Speaking on POI at China Open Source Conference in October

Hi Team,

I’ve been invited to speak at the COSCON in Shenzhen, China on October 20-21. I’ll have two talks. One is about the Incubator, but one was my choice and I chose POI due to a few interesting things happening here plus our long history as a small project that show some important points about Apache project governance.

I’m thinking about slides with these topics, but I’m looking to the community to help me with some of the points to add what you know including your opinions. Think of this like a group history project. In the end I have one hour with plenty of time to be taken in translation.

(1) Apache POI 4.0 Motivations and Features
	Java Jars
	Remove Deprecated methods
	OOXML 1.4

(2) XMLBeans 3.0.1
	Entity Expansions
	Taking over the codebase

(3) OOXML
	Generated from XSD
	Lite generated from listing of classes used in Unit Tests

(4) All of the formats
	Table of formats and when they were introduced

(5) POI 3.5 - OOXML
	Microsoft OpenSource Promise
	Relevance
	Project impact

Regards,
Dave

Re: Speaking on POI at China Open Source Conference in October

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.
Let me know if these are of any use...

https://github.com/centic9/CommonCrawlDocumentDownload

http://openpreservation.org/blog/2016/10/04/apache-tikas-regression-corpus-tika-1302/

https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/files/slides/ApacheConMiami2017_tallison_v2.pdf

https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaEval

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Nick,

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

These are all great ideas. Thanks!

Posted by Tim Allison <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by kiwiwings <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

thank you for spreading the word - I've already noticed that the latest
released was noticed in China [1] :)

If I understand you correctly, you want to present some kind of history list
and
I guess the talk won't have so much interaction with the audience, right?

In case it would be interactive, I would like to add the following topics to
the list,
as I guess this might have some interesting feedback ...

@1. an important point is also the Java9+ compatibility -
something which will keep us busy and probably result in at least another
mayor version jump
... and of course mentioning that we now try to release along the semver
guidelines.

Regarding the deprecated methods, it might be interesting to the audience,
to discuss the pro and cons in general about when to introduce breaking
changes.
Maybe list a few of the dependent projects and check, when they have stopped
upgrading POI.

The OOXML 1.4 version contains the following changes:
the POIXMLTypeLoader is now mostly obsolete and the callback (schema classes
-> loader) has been removed
the AlternateContent schema has been added, now it's possible to get typed
XmlObjects of the nested elements.

@2./@3. I think it's important to explain, why we are using XMLBeans, i.e.
XML infoset preservation
and why it's problematic to upgrade to newer OOXML specs and that using jaxb
is not the cure-all [2],
besides propably interesting effects in using Binders [3]
In the long run, I think we need to change our memory model and need to go
away from XMLBeans.

Android development is another thing which is not always on my/(our?)
agenda,
so maybe some advertising on contributing in this area might be nice.

@5. The Microsoft OpenSource Promise, i.e. providing the file specs, is
really helpful to us.

Best wishes,
Andi