Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2010/01/21 05:54:02 UTC

Apache Thrift Serialization Framework

Anyone played with Apache Thrift?  It's an Incubator project at the
moment, it's reported to be a fast and light cross platform, cross
language serialization framework (common language object types), it's
lighter than CORBA.  It could be used by a smart proxy, to talk to a
service written in another programming language.  It might also be
utilised some day to make a Jini service available to another
programming language, where the Jini service uses a defined subset of
built in java language objects. Lookup & Discovery would need a
different mechanism than exists today however.

Just thought you might be interested to know, if you didn't already.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Apache Thrift Serialization Framework

Posted by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com>.
There has been a lot of activity around serialization techniques for
Java in the past couple of years, Thrift being one. One (of several)
comparison websites
http://code.google.com/p/thrift-protobuf-compare/wiki/Benchmarking

Some of these are serialization-only, others include a mechanism for
RPC as well. Most aim to work across-languages as well.

I've been thinking of plugging one or another of these into our Jini
invocation stack but as serialization is not a bottleneck in our
system, and we don't need cross-language invocation, I haven't gotten
around to it. Am interested in hearing if anyone works on this,
though.

Patrick

Re: Apache Thrift Serialization Framework

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Sounds like an interesting technology to me