Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Joseph Rozier <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/13 22:27:55 UTC

Pending PDA Patches

Hello,

The following two JIRAs have patches waiting to be reviewed/committed.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES-167
Add 'autoSubmit' support for basic input components on PDAs

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES-110
Add Agent for BlackBerry Browser 4.0
(this has a fix to the original patch)

Would it be possible to get these two patches committed?

We have fixes for two other JIRAs (ADFFACES-172 and -173) ready to go,
but they have dependencies on these patches.

Also, for the future, what is the protocol for submitting patches that
have dependencies on earlier patches that have not yet been committed.
 Is it acceptable to locally apply the earlier patch that has not yet
been committed and, in effect, include that patch in a new patch?

I can see how that would make patch reviewing a headache, but we're
running into the issue where a lot of the PDA patches have dependences
on earlier patches and it typically takes several days to get even
minor changes reviewed and committed.

Thanks,

Joey

Re: Pending PDA Patches

Posted by Piyush Hari <pi...@oracle.com>.
Hey Joey,

I just realised that I had submitted patches for panelradio and panelChoice
which had dependencies on other issues being commited. I cancelled those
patches after I read Jeanne's and your e-mails.

Thanks,
Piyush

Posted by Joseph Rozier <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pending PDA Patches

Posted by Joseph Rozier <jo...@gmail.com>.
The rule of thumb we have been using is that if it is a relatively
minor difference when the bulk of the code can be re-used, we prefer
to keep a single renderer.

We also try to use only capabilities instead of is<Agent> type code,
though sometimes it is unavoidable because the agent-specific
difference isn't easily captured by capabilities.

You can see both cases here, where the original Trinidad code had a
"if(isPIE)" block, but the new code is based on capabilities.

There are some cases where the renderers differe, as can be seen in
the table renderers (in
org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.desktop and .pda).
The rendering logic there is more substantially different.

So far, the fixes we have been making have been of the "minor changes
to existing renderers" variety.

Any other opinions on the approach we should be using?

(And thanks for looking into these!)

Take care,

Joey

Re: Pending PDA Patches