Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com> on 2008/04/11 17:38:02 UTC

maven archiva vs. maven repo

Hi,

could anyone explain to me the difference between maven archiva and a
regular maven repository?
The explanation I found on the site was pretty short -

"With Archiva, you can share artifacts with other developers..."
Isn't that exactly what the regular maven repository does?

So why / when / what for should I use Archiva??

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: maven archiva vs. maven repo

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
The best description of why repository managers exist and why you
should use one is here:

http://www.sonatype.com/book/reference/repository-manager.html#

On 11-Apr-08, at 8:38 AM, Peter Horlock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could anyone explain to me the difference between maven archiva and a
> regular maven repository?
> The explanation I found on the site was pretty short -
>
> "With Archiva, you can share artifacts with other developers..."
> Isn't that exactly what the regular maven repository does?
>
> So why / when / what for should I use Archiva??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

-- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: maven archiva vs. maven repo

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
We a few things written about this at:

   http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: maven archiva vs. maven repo

Posted by Trevor Torrez <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:33 PM,  <ni...@planet.nl> wrote:
> This is a very common pitfall Maven users can fall in.
>
>  You are using a local repository as remote repository. I thought there was some information on the maven site about the differences between remote and local repositories, but the most important one is:
>
>  A local repository stores snapshots different than a remote one. If you use a local repository as a remote repository, Maven can't tell that a snapshot artifact has changed, so you won't get the newer snapshot. (You can only get the newer one, if you manually remove the snapshot from your own local repository. This can be very tricky)
>

>  Hth,
>
>  Nick S.
>
>  [snip]

Maybe the problem is terminology. To me "local repository" means "a
repository stored locally"; e.g.: if I mirror the central repo on my
hard drive, I have a "local repository".  The
${user.home}/.m2/repository folder should perhaps be referred to as
"local cache".  I don't think anyone would expect a local cache to be
shared or used the same way that the central repository is.

(my $.02)
-trevor

RE: maven archiva vs. maven repo

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.
This is a very common pitfall Maven users can fall in.

You are using a local repository as remote repository. I thought there was some information on the maven site about the differences between remote and local repositories, but the most important one is:

A local repository stores snapshots different than a remote one. If you use a local repository as a remote repository, Maven can't tell that a snapshot artifact has changed, so you won't get the newer snapshot. (You can only get the newer one, if you manually remove the snapshot from your own local repository. This can be very tricky)

Hth,

Nick S.

Well, we've got Maven running on a remote server, and I set this as our
maven remote server.
As far as I know we don't have additional proxy or so running.

So I still don't know why I would need archiva.

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.
if you have a maven repo, you have a LOCAL repo only. Now if you have a
team, and want to setup a central repo and not use all the other external
repo's (maven, codehaus, apache, jboss etc...), then you can have a central
remote repo yourself with maven-proxy, or archiva.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could anyone explain to me the difference between maven archiva and a
> regular maven repository?
> The explanation I found on the site was pretty short -
>
> "With Archiva, you can share artifacts with other developers..."
> Isn't that exactly what the regular maven repository does?
>
> So why / when / what for should I use Archiva??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

Mick Knutson

http://www.baselogic.com
http://www.blincmagazine.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mickknutson
http://www.djmick.com
http://www.myspace.com/mickknutson
http://www.myspace.com/BLiNCMagazine
http://tahoe.baselogic.com
---

RE: maven archiva vs. maven repo

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.
> What's "snapshot purging"???
If you have an internal development team which uses the repository and you make a new release of a component, most of the time the snapshots for that component are no longer needed. Archiva can delete the snapshots for a specific version or after a specific amount of time. It saves diskspace. ;)

>And all this works automatically, so I just could use whatever dependency
>the maven remote repo offers, and it would be downloaded just in time if not
>present? That sound cool.

Yes, and it will also be present when another developer wants to get it.

> So if Archiva offers all these things - why isn't the maven repo using it???
> (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/)

Because they don't need snapshot purging (it doesn't contain snapshots), access control is done by ssh accounts and generally, with the amount of traffic central has, you don't want a sophisticated system like archive, but just a fast system like apache (I guess they use that).

Hth,

Nick S.

Posted by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com>.
What's "snapshot purging"???
"access control (who may read/write), search for artifacts" - do you define
this for each file, or just general "read" access vs general "write" access?

>Archiva works as a mirror proxy, so each artifact you look up on the
archiva repository, which isn't found, Archiva will pull it from central (or
any other >configured repository)

And all this works automatically, so I just could use whatever dependency
the maven remote repo offers, and it would be downloaded just in time if not
present? That sound cool.

So if Archiva offers all these things - why isn't the maven repo using it???
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/)
Are there (better) alternatives to Archiva?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

RE: maven archiva vs. maven repo

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.
What do you mean by a "regular repository"?

If you are using a filesystem on a server and deploying to there with mvn deploy, you virtually have an inhouse repository like archiva offers, without the management like snapshot purging, access control (who may read/write), search for artifacts. Also, Archiva works as a mirror proxy, so each artifact you look up on the archiva repository, which isn't found, Archiva will pull it from central (or any other configured repository) and store it locally for other developers, who may need that artifact, so your internet connection and central are less used.

So in short, it offers a "few" extra options. ;)

Hth,

Nick S.