Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Segree, Gareth" <Ga...@gleanerjm.com> on 2002/06/07 23:38:47 UTC

Apache 2.36, Tomcat 4.x and JBoss 3.0

I am new to the JSP & EJB business and I'm trying to setup a server using
opensource software.

1) Is there any special configuration to install apache 2.x & tomcat 4.x
from source.
2) When should I use tomcat only vs apache + tomcat plugin.

Re: Apache 2.36, Tomcat 4.x and JBoss 3.0

Posted by Guillaume de Roujoux <gd...@kaidarausa.com>.
>From tomcat user guide
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.html)

Up until now we have not discussed Tomcat as a server add on, instead we
have considered it as a stand-alone container and discussed how it can be
used. There are however a few problems with this picture:

  1.. Tomcat is not as fast as Apache when it comes to static pages.
  2.. Tomcat is not as configurable as Apache.
  3.. Tomcat is not as robust as Apache.
  4.. There are many sites with long time investment in certain web servers,
for example, sites that are using CGI scripts/Server API modules/perl/php...
We cannot assume that all of them will want to ditch this legacy.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by Adam Pfeiffer <ad...@yahoo.com>.