Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/13 10:05:00 UTC

Toplink plugin for geronimo

Hi All,

Is it worth to have a toplink plugin for geronimo? Please provide your
comments.

Thanks
Ashish

RE: Toplink plugin for geronimo

Posted by Fei LI <FL...@mdacorporation.com>.
Thanks Keven,

Let me do some home learning on these 2 topic first.

________________________________

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fei LI <FL...@mdacorporation.com>.
Hi Kevan,

This is a very good subject. I am an experienced Java/J2EE application developer but only have the experience how to use a Web server, never develop a Web server.

I can try. But I do not know how it can work out. So many things new to learn. If you can find a supervisor for me, it would be awesome. He give me a direction and I implement his idea. We can work together. It will be much fast than I act alone. How do you think?

Another topic I am very interested is concurrency programming. I made commercial one 8 years ago and people still use it, but I know it was not good one after I read the book "Java Concurrency in practice". Now I believe I can do much, much better on this topic.

Thanks

Fei Li

________________________________

On Nov 13, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Fei LI wrote:

	Yes, I vote for it strongly. But if IBM takes an anti-Oracle position, then I do not know.

That's not how it works in an Apache community. If users are interested in the capability and someone in the community is interested in developing (and supporting) it, barring architectural/technical/legal objections, it will happen. A plugin, on it's own, would not generate much in the way of architectural/technical objections... If the plugin was driving a lot of changes in other parts of the server, then there might be some objections. But, I doubt that would happen... So, assuming there aren't legal/licensing issues, there's nothing preventing this...

Perhaps you're interested in helping to develop it? ;-)

--kevan

Re: Toplink plugin for geronimo

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
It should be worth it as something not shipped, but documented and available.

It will definitely open the door for Toplink apps to be ported to
Geronimo. Even though JPA is a spec not all providers act the same. I
had application written with Toplink and when I started building
OpenEJB unit tests I had to find a way to either get toplink working
in OpenEJB or modify the JPA code to support both. This is especially
true if you use non-JPA features. So having support for Toplink that
can be enabled by just loading a plugin will certainly make some
people happy.

Further, as I understand it, EclipseLink is the new versions of the
free Toplink (Toplink Essentials). It was renamed to EclipseLink. Then
you still get "Toplink" which is Oracle's enterprise grade JPA
provider with much more advanced features like clusters/grids/etc.

Quintin Beukes

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 14, 2009, at 3:18 AM, Ashish Jain wrote:

> It will be a geronimo plugin which can be installed using the plugin portlet or command line.
> This will be only for those user who wants to use toplink as the persistence provider with geronimo.
> However the default persistence provider out of the box will still be openJPA.

From a licensing perspective, I don't see how you could provide a "Toplink" plugin. Thus Donald's question about "EclipseLink", which would seem to have acceptable licensing...

--kevan

Re: Toplink plugin for geronimo

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.