Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/14 17:51:01 UTC

[semi-OT] Have you listen "autoscaling java" talk at I/O 2013?

Hi,
  have you listen to the talks?

https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/333276583

I'm just curious about what could be your ideas about it (and tapestry of
course).

Cheers
--
Massimo Lusetti

Re: [semi-OT] Have you listen "autoscaling java" talk at I/O 2013?

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
To be honest, I thought the talk was rather weak on substance. Sure, simple
applications would scale better and stateless applications would scale even
better but the real applications tend to become complex over time. In any
case, if you are not covering JVM memory models, caching strategies and
JPA, it's just not going to be very useful for many (most?) of today's real
world business applications. The reality is that JVM is very good for
trading memory for more performance and so most of the auto-scaling
scenarios become memory consumption/optimization exercises and quests for
downscaling reserved instances (for which cloud hosting providers don't
have nearly as much incentive as for upscaling). Of course, this talk was
specifically geared for GAE, where only certain type of applications and
use cases can thrive.

Kalle