Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/25 02:43:32 UTC

Axis2 1.6 release plan

Folks,

After a set of hackathons on Axis2 trunk it is sort of at a stable sate for
the 1.6 release. I predict that if we start now we should be able to get the
first release candidate in the first week of february.

Any volunteers to be the Release Manager for this release? and also any
critical fixes to be included into the 1.6 release?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Software Architect & Product Manager

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

phone: +1 408 754 7388 ext 51789
email: ruwan@wso2.com; cell: +94 77 341 3097
blog: http://blog.ruwan.org
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ruwanlinton
google: http://www.google.com/profiles/ruwan.linton
tweet: http://twitter.com/ruwanlinton

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
What we have agreed is to create a separate distro with all bundled together
and release that inline with Axis2 core, as moving the rampart and sandesha
modules into axis2 required a bit of SVN refactoring too. I think we should
be able to create that distro. Just a matter of writing an assembly, but
still you need them to be separate releases going insync at least for this
release.

Ruwan

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Thilina, who is going to work on the Sandesha2 release?

Ruwan

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Thilina Mahesh Buddhika <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sagara, that helps a lot.

Neethi doesn't seem to have much activity around it, and I assume that could
be released without much issue as well, I will see what are the changes
after the previous release and will try to see if we can go with the
previous version of neethi, but not sure about the relation to axiom, in
which case just a matter of cutting a release from the trunk.

So it seems Axiom is taking the lead, Andreas, can you propose a time line
for this?

Thanks,
Ruwan

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, but for the time being they are separate modules, so we need to do
separate releases in sync this time.

Ruwan

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:21 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> What's the verdict on this? I don't see the point of rushing out 1.6 without passing the TCK .. having full JAX-WS support would (finally) be a major milestone!

From the perspective of an Axis2 consumer (i.e. Geornimo), I'd agree... I'm hoping that Axis2 1.6 can be included in Geronimo 3.0 and TCK compliance would be critical for this. We have kicked off some TCK testing, but we're still in early stages in terms of our Java EE6 full profile TCK testing. On that general subject, if any Axis committers would like to access to our Geronimo TCK materials -- our test harness, access to our TCK mailing list, etc -- we can set that up. Does require that you have an NDA on file with the ASF -- http://www.apache.org/jcp/ApacheNDA.pdf

--kevan

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Ruwan. Instead of further increasing the scope of Axis2
1.6, just get this thing out and make sure that we can easily do
maintenance releases. I think that with the 1.5.x releases, I've
proven that it is perfectly possible to have a release every 2-3
months.

Andreas

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
The trunk seems to build just fine with Neethi 2.0.4. This confirms
Dan's (and also my own) finding that there have been no significant
changes on the Neethi trunk since the last release.

On the other hand, Dan's recent changes broke integration with the
Axis2 trunk. Probably nobody noticed that because Dan also changed the
trunk version to 2.1.0-SNAPSHOT, but Axis2 still refers to
3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. Note that the Axis2 code that fails to compile looks
suspicious, so I'm not blaming Dan. We simply need to investigate what
the issue is.

My advice: create the Axis2 1.6 release branch and switch it back to
Neethi 2.0.4. At the same time, do the necessary fixes to make Axis2
trunk work with Neethi trunk again.

Andreas

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Done!

Ruwan

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1, will use it.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Sagara.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
 Hi Ruwan ,

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
OK, I got it passing :-) I was using the Neethi version 2.0.3 not sure
whether that is the cause, but I was able to run the build 2 times with
2.0.4 version successfully.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1, I was also checking the neethi release with the Axis2 trunk, but I got
some test failures on the integration module, which doesn't seem to be
related to neethi. I am verifying the build again.

Once it is done lets create the branch and move ahead for the release.

BTW: Sagara what is the status with the Wooden release? Axiom is almost done
and we do not need a Neethi release so, we just need Wooden now to continue

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Isuru Suriarachchi <is...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
+1, for getting JAX-WS TCK (if we have enough man power).

Deepal

Re: Axis2 1.6 release plan

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.