Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org> on 2010/12/02 21:13:34 UTC

Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Hello all,

While doing an experiment, I started removing all the 0.9 file format
upgrade code. This significantly reduces the amount of code we have:

https://github.com/fdmanana/couchdb/commit/ab910576ae7bdfb852971aed17a7a91150de651d

(please ignore a few other minor changes done in that diff)

Do we still need this code? 0.9 is really old, and since we are close
to release 1.1, I'm not sure if it makes sense to keep that upgrade
code.
Haven't tested, but I heard a few times from friends that opening with
1.0.1 a DB file created with 0.10 didn't work properly (therefore
likely to not work as well with a 0.9 file).

regards,

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org

Re: Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Stephen Lewis
<st...@yourgolftravel.com> wrote:
>> Haven't tested, but I heard a few times from friends that opening with
>> 1.0.1 a DB file created with 0.10 didn't work properly (therefore
>> likely to not work as well with a 0.9 file).
>
> On that note, we upgraded our production servers from 0.10.1 to 1.0.1
> recently, and the old DB files opened cleanly - we ran with this setup
> for a couple of weeks before compacting (thus rewriting the .couch
> files with 1.0.1), and didn't notice anything untoward.
>
> I don't suppose you remember what kind of problems were reported?

Nop, this was a coffee talk with some friends. In the end they ended
up writing a small script to transfer the data from a 0.10.0 server to
a 1.0.1 server.
They haven't kept a log so I can't see exactly why it failed for them.
I've never seen in this mailing list anyone complaining about it
either.

cheers

Re: Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Posted by Stephen Lewis <st...@yourgolftravel.com>.

Re: Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, we don't have tests that even exercise this code trivially so
> I'm not even sure anyone knows if it works.

I suspect here:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/trunk/src/couchdb/couch_file.erl#L359

something is missing (incrementing the gen_server's state eof field),
but I never verified it (and I'm not worried about it).

Re: Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
I'm a fan of deleting it, but I think Adam expressed interest in
keeping it at one point.

Re: Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 on removing it on condition that the code cleanly refuses to open a 0.9 file.

Re: Remove 0.9 upgrade code?

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.
I'm in favor of removing it.