Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/25 00:08:22 UTC

Promote committer to new PMC member

I did a bad job at designing the update to the whimsy/roster tool to add new PMC member.

When I got to actually looking at the User Interface, I was surprised to see that the process is not fit for purpose and would need to be redesigned.

What I found was that the tool is organized to be able to process multiple committers at a time, or multiple PMC members at a time. Not only have I never seen multiple actions occur, but the pop-up doesn't allow for multiple links to VOTEs. So we need another pop-up with just one name on it.

And, it was pretty tough to figure out, just looking at the PMC list with all the PMC members followed by all the committers, that the idea is to tick the box next to the committer and go back to the top of the screen to (ADD) (MODIFY).

So my design decision is to add a box to the committer line which will bring up the pop-up with the link to lists.apache.org and votelink.

I'll still need help with the details but I'm going to start over with the implementation.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Promote committer to new PMC member

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 at 01:08, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did a bad job at designing the update to the whimsy/roster tool to add new PMC member.
>
> When I got to actually looking at the User Interface, I was surprised to see that the process is not fit for purpose and would need to be redesigned.
>
> What I found was that the tool is organized to be able to process multiple committers at a time, or multiple PMC members at a time. Not only have I never seen multiple actions occur, but the pop-up doesn't allow for multiple links to VOTEs. So we need another pop-up with just one name on it.
>
> And, it was pretty tough to figure out, just looking at the PMC list with all the PMC members followed by all the committers, that the idea is to tick the box next to the committer and go back to the top of the screen to (ADD) (MODIFY).
>
> So my design decision is to add a box to the committer line which will bring up the pop-up with the link to lists.apache.org and votelink.

Remember that people can be added to the PMC without being promoted
from committer.
e.g. the person is already a committer elsewhere, or the PMC treats
has committers === PMC.

It might be better to just disable PMC promotion if more than one
person is selected.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 at 12:24, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote on 4/24/23 8:08 PM:
> > I did a bad job at designing the update to the whimsy/roster tool to add new PMC member.
> >
> > When I got to actually looking at the User Interface, I was surprised to see that the process is not fit for purpose and would need to be redesigned.
> >
> > What I found was that the tool is organized to be able to process multiple committers at a time, or multiple PMC members at a time. Not only have I never seen multiple actions occur, but the pop-up doesn't allow for multiple links to VOTEs. So we need another pop-up with just one name on it.
>
> Instead of trying to shoehorn new change actions into the existing set
> of tables, why not make this action be explicit with a separate button
> or the like that then gives the user an edit/listbox to enter a single
> name for the newly proposed PMC member?
>
> Then the user can either select a name of an existing committer on that
> project from the list, or can type in a new availid of an existing
> committer (anywhere) to add them?
>
> If we think about UI design overall, having change actions - especially
> add/delete actions - be explicit buttons/separate links/whatever that
> are *not* just part of a giant list (with lots of data), that makes it
> much clearer to the user that they're modifying data, not just viewing.
>
> I've never quite liked the fact that we don't have a solid UI design
> pattern for whimsy tools, especially ones that modify data.
>
> Does that make sense?

I agree it might be simpler to have separate buttons to make changes.
However the existing GUI will have to be modified to drop the existing
PMC change functions (otherwise the new code can be bypassed).

And for consistency the GUIs that deal with podlings and non-PMCs etc
should also be changed.

That's a lot of work.
Maybe that should be considered for a separate enhancement.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.