Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by ashokkumar rajendran <as...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/04 07:50:38 UTC

Re: Do we need schema for Parquet files with Spark?

Hi Ted,

Thanks for pointing out this. This page has mailing list for developers but
not for users yet it seems. Including developers mailing list only.

Hi Parquet Team,

Could you please clarify the question below? Please let me know if there is
a separate mailing list for users but not developers.

Regards
Ashok

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Hi Ashok,

The schema for your data comes from the data frame you're using in Spark
and resolved with a Hive table schema if you are writing to one. For
encodings, you don't need to configure them because they are selected for
your data automatically. For example, Parquet will try dictionary-encoding
first and fall back to non-dictionary if it looks like the
dictionary-encoding would take more space.

I recommend writing out a data frame to Parquet and then just taking a look
at the result using parquet-tools, which you can download from maven
central.

rb

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM, ashokkumar rajendran <

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Do we need schema for Parquet files with Spark?

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Hi Ashok,

--
Ryan Blue