Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ian Gilbert <ia...@ethicalshopper.co.uk> on 2006/07/08 22:10:51 UTC

ERROR: Error parsing entity xml file: java.io.CharConversionException: Invalid UTF-8 Encoding

I am trying to import some data from a previous instance of Ofbiz into a test system (the contents
of ProductCategory).  I am using the import tool in webtools but am getting the above error.  Does
anyone know what this might be?  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks and very best wishes

Ian Gilbert
www.ethicalshopper.net
Fair trade: the alternative choice for your everyday shopping
0845 456 2429

WHAT DO YOU DRINK AT WORK?
We can supply your organisation with high quality fair trade tea and
coffee.  Discounts are available for regular orders.  Contact us for more
details.

Re: ERROR: Error parsing entity xml file: java.io.CharConversionException: Invalid UTF-8 Encoding

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.
Ian Gilbert wrote:

> I am trying to import some data from a previous instance of Ofbiz into a test system (the contents
> of ProductCategory).  I am using the import tool in webtools but am getting the above error.  Does
> anyone know what this might be?  Has anyone seen this before?

I have seen this when we started experimenting with importing data from our
existing system. In this case your friend is "xmllint". It's in the freeBSD
ports collection, and I'll leave it up to you to install it in the OS of your
choice. xmllint should give you enough info to find the offending character(s).

In our case the character that caused all the problem is \x94 which is a
typographic double quote. We had some data that was cut and pasted from an Adobe
Indesign file that had inch marks that looked okay in our existing database
system, and would display fine in our website, but caused a lot of grief when we
were importing into ofBiz for test purposes.

--
Walter

P.S. Yesterday I made my reservations for OSCON. Looking forward to meeting with
several of you ofBiz'ers!

Re: ERROR: Error parsing entity xml file: java.io.CharConversionException: Invalid UTF-8 Encoding

Posted by Ian Gilbert <ia...@ethicalshopper.co.uk>.
Could you give me an example of what that might be?  I'm in the UK and the settings are UK but
it's not impossible that I've got some odd data in there.  I can do a search for it though ...

Ian

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.