Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dean <dw...@nctv.com> on 2007/05/27 02:31:20 UTC

404 message when trying to test a servlet

Greetings,

I suspect the class file may be in the wrong directory.  I get the message
/basic-servlet/servlet/CurrencyConverter  , which is confusing in that the
class file is in the following directory C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\basic-servlet\WEB-INF\classes.  The html page
is being found ok but when I do a submit and it tries to bring up the
servlet I get the above.

I really appreciate any help you can give.

P.s. when I start tomcat I only get the following messages

Starting service Tomcat-Standalone

Apache Tomcat/4.1.36-LE-jdk14

I am able to access http://localhost:8080/index.jsp

Sincerely,

RE: 404 message when trying to test a servlet

Posted by Dean <dw...@nctv.com>.
Thanks for the info.  However, I am new to tomcat and servlets and as such
am still somewhat unclear as to the resolution to this problem.  Can you
clarify.  What exactly is servlet - mapping?

> I suspect the class file may be in the wrong directory.  I get the message
> /basic-servlet/servlet/CurrencyConverter  , which is confusing in that the
> class file is in the following directory C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\basic-servlet\WEB-INF\classes.  The html
> page
> is being found ok but when I do a submit and it tries to bring up the
> servlet I get the above.

The invoker servlet has been disabled in the default config for ages
(because it is evil :).  You can enable it at your own risk in conf/web.xml,

but that isn't recommended.  Use an explicit servlet-mapping instead.

Having classes in the default package will prevent you from upgrading later
on.  You really should put your class in a package.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.