Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/16 11:58:05 UTC

[users@httpd] installing Apache 2.23 under Windows

Hi,

I have just installed Apache 2.23 under Windows 2000 using a custom install
(apache_2.2.3-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi).
I have specified as a target dir:

d:\

Because I want apache installed in:
d:\Apache2.2\bin\httpd.exe

But it was installed in the default location:
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2

Please tell me what can I do in order to be able to install it in the
location I want.

Thank you.

Teddy

Re: [users@httpd] installing Apache 2.23 under Windows

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Then I have tried a few times more, and on one try I specified again d:\ but
> the server was installed on d:\ directly, without creating an apache2.2 or
> another apacheXX dir.
>
> I have uninstalled again, and I specified d:\apache, but this time it was
> installed successfully.
>
> The installer is not right, because in the older versions of Apache (2.0) it
> use to work differently (and more correctly).

Yes it worked differently.  In 1.3/2.0 you were forced to use the apache
or apache2 subdirectory name.  In 2.2 the installer -suggests- apache2.2 within
program files\apache software foundation - if you change it you are changing
the top level tree name for apache.  Call it "Apache HTTP Server 2.2.3" if you
want - the installer will continue to allow you to override this.

Try choosing D:\Apache2.2 and see what happens.

Re: [users@httpd] installing Apache 2.23 under Windows

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] installing Apache 2.23 under Windows

> Teddy,
> During the installation, the installer does allow you to chose the target
> dir. I guess you probably miss it.
> I am sure you will find it if you go through the installation one more
> time. Thanks.

Thanks, but I didn't miss it. :-(
I have specified it, and I was very careful, because I also had this issue
with Apache 2.2.

Then I have tried a few times more, and on one try I specified again d:\ but
the server was installed on d:\ directly, without creating an apache2.2 or
another apacheXX dir.

I have uninstalled again, and I specified d:\apache, but this time it was
installed successfully.

The installer is not right, because in the older versions of Apache (2.0) it
use to work differently (and more correctly).

Thanks.

Posted by Cairen Lajia <Ca...@itec.suny.edu>.
Teddy,
During the installation, the installer does allow you to chose the target
dir. I guess you probably miss it.
I am sure you will find it if you go through the installation one more
time. Thanks.

Cairen

"Octavian Rasnita" <or...@gmail.com>
08/16/2006 05:58 AM