Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Rabast, Matthias" <ma...@ubs.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/22 11:05:55 UTC

How to build KAFKA 2.7 on z/OS platform

How can I build Kafka from ksource afka-2.7.0-src.tar) on z/OS v2.3 platform where gradle is NOT available?
Can I use javac and compile the source code, and pack them with jar manually ? which sequence is recommended?
Is a MAKE file available to rebuild the jar libs using make ?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: How to build KAFKA 2.7 on z/OS platform

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rabast,
Gradle is just a build automation tool, and we still build the source code
using javac, so your question:
1. Can I use javac and compile the source code, and pack them with jar
manually
--> Yes

2. which sequence is recommended?
--> You might need to refer to the gradle build dependency to know the
sequence, or try to build on another machine with gradle installed, it'll
print out the build sequence.

3. Is a MAKE file available to rebuild the jar libs using make ?
--> No, I don't think so.

I'd suggest you that the easiest way is to build from other machine with
gradle installed,
and put the output jar file onto the z/OS if you really want to run on z/OS
environment.

Thanks.
Luke