Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ewan Makepeace <ew...@yahoo.com> on 2001/07/28 11:44:25 UTC

Netscape Crisis

Please note: I am NOT subscribed to this list, as my ISP does not give me
enough space to cope with the level of traffic it generates. Please cc me
personally on any reply. Thanks.

I have a commercial Java application running under Tomcat [was 3.2.1, now
3.2.2] for the last 4 months. Tomcat has been fantastic, I am extremely
happy with it. However I have added extensive help files with lots of
graphics and last month had two partial server hangs, which I assumed might
be the effect of putting too much regular server load on Tomcat. Therefore I
decided to install Apache [on 80] and let Tomcat be delegated the servlet
requests [on 8080].

I set this up as follows:

1. include "include c:/tomcat/conf/mod_jk.conf-auto" to httpd.conf
2. copy mod_jk.dll to c:/program files/apache group/apache/modules
2. uncomment "LoadModule jserv_module modules/ApacheModuleJServ.dll" at
tomcat.conf
3. uncomment "ApJServDefaultHost localhost" at tomcat.conf
4, add at tomcat.conf
DocumentRoot c:/tomcat/webapps/root

<Directory "c:/tomcat/webapps/root">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
#   Options -Indexes
</Directory>

<Location "c:/tomcat/webapps/root/WEB-INF/">
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
</Location>

and it runs fine. I tested it and notified the client that I would roll out
the new version on Monday. Today I have realised that although it works fine
on MS IE, it does not work with Netscape Communicator [versions 4.75 or
6.0]. What happens is that regular pages are served OK but my servlets get
displayed as raw HTML. If I modify the URL to access port 8080 instead the
page gets displayed correctly, so the problem seems to be related to the
Apache/Tomcat handoff.

I suspect this is a known problem, but I couldn't see any reference in the
FAQ. I wouldn't bother you guys on the mailing list if I hadn't already
promised a Monday delivery...

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
rgds
Ewan Makepeace