Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Yerraguntla <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/30 16:58:04 UTC

Solr Searching on other fields which are not in query

Hi,

I have a data set with the following schema.

PersonName:Text
AnimalName:Text
PlantName:Text

<.... lot more attributes about each of them like nick name, animal nick
name, plant generic name etc which are multually exclusive>
UniqueId:long

For each of the document data set, there will be only one value of the above
three.

In my solr query from client

I am using AnimalName:German Shepard.

The return result contains
PersonName with 'Shepard' in it, even though I am querying on AnimalName
field.
Can anyone point me whats happening and how to prevent scanning other
columns/fields.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Ravi

Re: Solr Searching on other fields which are not in query

Posted by Norberto Meijome <nu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:50:58 -0300
"Jorge Solari" <js...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <copyField source="*" dest="text"/>
>
> in the schema file.

or use Dismax query handler.

_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Re: Solr Searching on other fields which are not in query

Posted by Jorge Solari <js...@gmail.com>.
I didn't mean with <defaultField> that it was the way to define the default
field it in the schema, only a generic way to say "default field name".

The default field name, seems to be "text" in your case.

If the search query doesn't say on which field to search, the word will be
searched in that field.

in the query

AnimalName:German Shepard

you are saying:

"search the word "German" in the field "AnimalName" and the word "Shepard"
in the default field"

I think that that the search you want to do is

AnimalName:German AND AnimalName:Shepard

I don't know if there is a way to say to solr to search on all fields.

you may be copying the content of other fields to the "text" field.

See if there is something like

<copyField source="*" dest="text"/>

in the schema file.

Jorge

Posted by Yerraguntla <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Never mind,
I understand now.

  I have <defaultSearchField>text</defaultSearchField>.

I was searching on a string field with space in it and with no quotes.

This is causing to scan for text fields(since default search field is text)
in the schema.
Also in my schema there is an indexed field(AnimalNameText) which is not
populated which is a text field.

After I populate the text field, I get only the results I am expecting.

Thanks for the pointer Jorge !

Yerraguntla wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> I dont have any <defaultField> defined in the schema.xml.
> Can you give the exact syntax how it looks like in schema.xml
>
> I have <defaultSearchField>text</defaultSearchField>.
> Does it mean if sufficient requested count not available, it looks for the
> search string in any of the text fields that are indexed?
>
> Thanks
> Ravi
>

> Jorge Solari wrote:
>>
>> Your query
>>
>> AnimalName:German Shepard.
>>
>> means
>>
>> AnimalName:German <defaultField>:Shepard.
>>
>> whichever the defaultField is
>>
>> Try with
>> AnimalName:"German Shepard"
>>
>> or
>>
>> AnimalName:German AND AnimalName:Shepard.
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Yerraguntla <ra...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a data set with the following schema.
>>>
>>> PersonName:Text
>>> AnimalName:Text

Posted by Yerraguntla <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hmm,